Q&A with Abdul Zahir

Meet this week’s Cutie, Abdul Zahir! He's cool, laid-back, and has a great sense of humour. Make sure you say hi to him if you see him around campus!

The basics:

Year: Fourth Year
Major: English and Humanities 
Hometown: Auckland, New Zealand
Relationship Status: Single, though something may be on the horizon

What you should know:

Why English and Humanities? What drew you to choosing the joint major?
Well, I've always been (or have tried to be) curious about everything. I like to think about something Cicero said: "To be unacquainted with what has passed in the world, before we came into it ourselves, is to remain always children." And studying English and the Humanities means studying pretty much everything that has forged the world into what it is today - philosophy, economics, the classical world, politics, sociology, history, art, psychology... the list goes on! Choosing English and Humanities was my choosing to try and become acquainted "with what has passed in the world," so that I don't remain a child. 

Exams are fast approaching. Any tricks you rely on to help you get through study sessions?
Luckily, I've only got final papers to worry about. However, what's usually worked for me is getting out of my room, where I constantly get distracted. I like to go to the SFU library (especially now that it's open 24/7), or some [other place] that feels academic [and] intellectual. Usually helps.

What do you miss most about New Zealand?
The chips (fries, for you) taste so much better in New Zealand. Canada doesn't compare. I don't know why - chips are chips. But New Zealand does them so much better. 

Any exciting Christmas plans for the holidays?
Going to California to spend the holidays with my parents.

What  would you like for Christmas this year?
Same as every year - a lovely pair of Christmas socks, with [a] nice pattern.

I hear you are a fan of British TV shows. What is your favourite?
I love cozy police/mystery/murder shows, like Midsomer MurdersPie in the Sky, or Rosemary and Thyme. Although, Fawlty Towers and, above all, Wallace and Gromit, have very special places in my heart.

If you could be any character from a book, who would you be?
Hmm, it'd have to be Mr. Fox, from Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr. Fox. First Dahl book I ever read, and boy, is he smooth.

If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be?
Jane Austen. I have a huge crush on her.

What is your dream job?
Dream job? To run the post office in a small English village.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three thing you would bring with you and why?
Woah. Umm, my iPod (for as long as it'd last); the SAS Survival Handbook; and could I have a fully-functioning toilet? I'd take one of those.