The 4 Stages of Finishing an Assignment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again, isn’t it? *groan* Yes, by that time, I mean the time when all assignments are due, one after another and all hell (and pimples from the lack of sleep) just breaks loose… It’s the time when assignments haunt us in both our waking and sleeping moments, but somehow we get through it each time. Here are the 4 stages I go through with pretty much any assignment. Do you go through the same stages as well?

Stage 1: Confidence 

This stage usually happens a few (at least two or more) days before the assignment’s due. At this time, I’ve only skimmed over the outline, and am almost always thinking “Alright, this paper’s only 3000 words, and I can write about anything I want – this should be easy. I’ll just write a few paragraphs on this, a few paragraphs on that, I GOT THIS!”. Knowing that “I got this”, I just put off the assignment and I don’t start thinking about it again until I hit the next stage. 

Stage 2: Doubt

The doubting stage starts, well, whenever I decide that it’s time to start on the assignment. My attitude goes from overly confident to feeling lost in a heartbeat. I don’t know what to write about, I don’t know where we are in the course, I haven’t done any of the readings, HOW DO I EVEN WRITE A PAPER? This struggle is too real when I’m starting with the paper proposal, trying to pick a topic out of the hundreds and thousands of possibilities. How do I deal with this then? Well, I try doing some research and reading some outside sources but that usually is a very slow process, so most of the time, I just end up procrastinating some more, thinking that things will get better tomorrow…

Stage 3: Breakdown 

How have I only written 4 pages? WHAT? Are you telling me I still have 6 pages to go? This goes on every other minute in this stage when I’m actually starting to write the paper. This stage consists of writing a paragraph, then deleting the paragraph, writing a sentence, and then deciding that I deserve a break. Suddenly, I go on a 30-minute break only to return with even less energy and focus than before... Thus, leading to the next and final stage.

Stage 4: Dazed and Confused

When I get to this stage, I just can’t bring myself to care anymore. As a matter of fact, I’m in this stage right now, as I’m writing this. At this point, assignments just start blending into one another, and I’m only writing for the sake of completing the assignment. My argument’s not strong enough? This sentence sounds awkward? I don’t care. I’m good with anything better than a fail…

And there you have it, the four stages I go through when doing assignments! I wish I can say things get better but truthfully, I just can’t seem to break the cycle… Let me know in the comments below if you have any suggestions. Happy studying, collegiates!

Sandy is a third-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University. She is devoted to the saying "Look Good, Feel Good" as her favourite thing to do in the whole wide world is to dress up each day as though she is going on her own runway. Feel free to check out her Instagram @blingbling3d for OOTDs and other bits and pieces of her life.