Joli Doñé: Black Student Union President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Full Name: Joli Doñé

Major: Diplomacy/ International Relations   

Year: Senior

Hometown: Linden, New Jersey

BSU President Profile

Joli Done is a dynamic leader of two Seton Hall organizations. Done serves as president of both the Black Student Union (BSU) and Mu Sigma Upsilon Sorority. The Black Student Union is open to all and they meet every other Tuesday in room 113 of the Nursing building.

Her Campus (HC): When did the BSU first become a club at SHU?

Joli Done (JD): BSU became an official club in 1965.

HC: How long have you been BSU president?

JD: I have been the president since April 2015.

HC: Why did you want to become BSU president?

JD: When I came to Seton Hall, I was instantly looking to be involved. Involved in something big where I would be able to make the biggest impact on campus in a way that heightened my passion of inclusiveness and multiculturalism. I did not want to be a part of something that followed a certain clique. BSU was all that and more for me. Two women that were on the executive board while I was a freshmen were Spanish, like me, and thus allowing me to see that I to can be a part of this very powerful organization in a big way.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish as BSU President?

JD: In being the president of the Black Student Union, I want to bridge that gap between us and other students from different walks of life. Many people have a perception that because we are the black student union only black students can be a part of the club. Only black students can care about things that are plaguing our communities. I do not believe that is the case. Through my tenure, I hope to convey that.

HC: What kind of events does your club host and participate in?

JD: We host an array of events that speak on the topics that every college student might face. From organizing a gathering to stand in solidarity with the students at Mizzou, to hosting an event on the hook-up culture, and an event to pay tribute to the black men on campus. We host and participate in events that shed a light on our culture as minority college students.

HC: How has being a part of BSU helped you?

JD: Being a part of BSU has taught me to be a way more dynamic leader. I am dealing with an organization that has an established a legacy on this campus. Therefore, a lot of people are invested in the success of this organization which comes with a lot of pressure, but has definitely allowed me to grow into the leader I am today.

HC: What do you like most about SHU?

JD: In comparison to other campuses, we do have a large amount of diversity. Even if it is not recognized to its fullest potential, it is here and I witness it every time I sit in a classroom.

HC: What other clubs or organizations are you a member of?

JD: I am the president of Mu Sigma Upsilon Sorority Inc. Which is the first Multicultural Sorority in the nation.

HC: Who is your greatest inspiration?

JD: As cliché as it may sound, my mother. I just wish to be as powerful as she is. She is really the epitome of strength, sometimes living off two hours of sleep. She works a night and a day job just so she can do what she loves, while also helping my father pay the bills.

HC: If you could have dinner with anybody that has made an impact in the course of history who would it be and what would you ask them?

JD: Alexander Hamilton. How did the things you dealt with during your childhood help shape the person you became?

HC: What is your favorite SHU memory?

JD: My favorite SHU memory was meeting my freshmen roommate. It was the first time I instantly connected with someone that I knew nothing about. She will always hold a special place in my heart because of that and it definitely made it easier being away from home and normality.

HC: What do you plan to do after you graduate?

JD: I want to become a lawyer or work in policy so my hopes are to move to Washington D.C.