Mission City Creamery: Chris Leahy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Mission City Creamery encompasses the feel of an old fashion ice cream shop. The photo lined wall, window seating, and bar by the counter give the place an old timey feel that makes you feel at home. When a customer comes through the door, Chris Leahy is there to greet them from behind the counter with a big, friendly grin.

Chris is a general contractor, originally from Cape Cod, whose passion for ice cream led him to create Santa Clara’s newest ice cream shop. After recently turning fifty, Chris found that he had lost his passion for building and needed to do something different. Twenty years of experience making ice cream and his friendship with Kelly, the owner of Blondie’s, led Chris to take over the location when Kelly got engaged and decided to leave the business.

Like Blondie’s, Mission City Creamery sells both ice cream and frozen yogurt, but Mission City has one large factor setting it aside from the rest: Chris makes all of the ice cream himself in-house. A high school friend introduced Chris to ice cream making in 1990 using a basic Rival ice cream machine. His wife bought him a matching machine shortly thereafter and it developed into a hobby. Chris and his wife began hosting ice cream socials from their home 16 years ago and the events increased in popularity as time went on. Chris explains, “This last summer we had about 200-220 people show up at my house for an ice cream social.”

Chris’s hobby turned into more of an art when he attended a weeklong ice cream course at Pennsylvania State University in January of 2009.  Penn State’s intensive course is in its 121st year and has educated thousands of ice cream lovers, many from big name brands, including Ben and Jerry’s and Blue Bell Creamery. Chris said of the experience, ”Actually, in the first couple hours, I learned four things that were wrong with my ice cream.” 

The ice cream at Mission City is all made with an organic, natural base. The milk comes from a certified organic farm, locally in Marin County. Chris caramelizes bananas, candies pecans, and bakes brownies himself to go into the ice cream; however, he boasts his hot fudge to be the ‘can’t miss’ specialty. Made in-house from his mother’s recipe, this sauce only adds more character to the shop.

Chris’s wife got her MBA at Santa Clara University shortly after they married and they have lived in the area ever since. The Creamery has also given his daughter, 15, and son, 14, the perk of getting to work with their dad.

Chris wanted to make his shop to be a sort of “homage to the ice cream parlor,” and the cozy neighborhood feel definitely brings that dream into a reality.  SCU students are also very happy to welcome a new ice cream shop within walking distance from campus.  Mission City Creamery is located across from Safeway in the location formerly occupied by Blondie’s.

Chris could not be more grateful for the way the shop has been received by the community. He proudly explained that they opened for business at 4:00pm on January 5, and by 4:15pm around 40 customers had already shown up. Chris credits this both to his supportive friends and the welcoming community. The increasing demand has Chris making a minimum of 16 pans of ice cream a night at about 6 quarts per pan!

In the near future, Chris will be experimenting with Ken Wilson, of Wilson’s Bakery, in creating ice cream cakes. In the meantime, Mission City’s clientele is expanding and Chris has even already acquired a few regulars.

Be sure to head over to Mission City Creamery if you haven’t already! The delicious treat is a great way to reward yourself after a midterm or a long night of homework. Plus, they take Flex!

Mention Her Campus Santa Clara at Mission City Creamery on February 5, and receive a free sauce or topping!

Abby is a sophomore at Santa Clara University majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Her roots in Denver, Colorado have led her to love hiking, running, and other outdoor activities. Abby is also passionate about reading, science, and certain comedy T.V. shows, including Parks and Recreation and Modern Family. She is actively involved in the SCU Solar Decathlon team, Young LIfe, and intramural sports.