This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Lately DIY embroidery has been a pretty big trend. From monograms, to collar embroidery, to patches and wall art, embroidery seems to be popping up everywhere. All you need is some embroidery floss, a needle, and an embroidery hoop. The best part is all three of these are under $5!

In addition to the cheap cost, this can be really cute gifts or just fun personal projects in general! With just two stitches, I was able to make my roommate this piece of wall art:

Here are the two stitches I used to help get you started embroidering: 

First, you need to pick a pattern or create one.

For this piece, I printed out a picture of G-Eazy and drew contour lines over his face which I then traced onto a piece of tracing paper using tracing paper and a pencil.

Next, tie a knot in your embroidery floss to secure your stitches.

Here are two ways you can do that:

The most useful stitch is the back stitch. This stitch creates clean even lines and is probably the easiest stitch to create.

Here’s how to back stitch:

One thing you can’t create with a back stitch, however, is a perfect dot. Here is how to create a stitch that can create one —

The French Knot:

Embroidering is relaxing and can be a creative embellishment. It’s inexpensive, and easier than it looks! It’s the perfect craft for a sweet time of destressing.