Tips on How to Stay Focused and Study from the Student Everyone Wants to be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As college students, there are times when we feel unstoppable, confident and like we may be finally scratching the surface of adulthood.  However, we all encounter “hell days,” or hell weeks, months and semesters.  (College sucks sometimes)  Everyone knows what these consist of, and quite frankly we’ve all considered changing our majors, dropping out or driving home at 11:00 p.m. on a Tuesday to hug our moms.  (The last one may or may not be from personal experience)

Then there’s those people, the ones who seem like they never break down because they have it all figured out.  We’re all a little envious of these so-called perfect students.  How do you have time to do your hair everyday?  Wait, you never wear sweats to class?  Why don’t you have bags under your eyes?  I’m halfway through my junior year and I still struggle getting out of bed before noon to make it to my 1:30. 

Here are some tips from the girl who (almost) has it all together, Junior accounting major, Julie Shevlin.

Coming from the perspective of an upperclassman who lives off campus, it can be a real pain to spend hours stuck inside Plassmann, Swan or Murphy.  But sometimes it has to be done.

Me: How many hours a day do you spend on campus?

Julie: I’m on campus for seven hours a day on average. I go to class, have meetings and study when I have spare time.  If I’m on campus, I’m usually being productive.

Me: How far in advance do you begin studying for tests?

Julie: I usually start studying a week before the test.  When it comes to accounting, I usually cram for a shit-ton of hours, like 30 f****** hours. 

Me: You’re involved with Enactus, does that take up a lot of your time?

Julie: I usually have a meeting everyday in between classes and studying.  We’re planning our trip and doing a lot on on-campus activities.  It can be a lot when you add everyday class work into the mix. 

Me: What do you need to do in order to energize yourself?

Julie: Sleep.  I’m in bed by 11:15 and I wake up 8:00, so I always get my nine hours.  I also drink a lot of Starbucks refreshers.  I’m not kidding, I drink so much coffee.

Me: How do you look so put together everyday?

Julie: I always shower directly after I wake up.  It wakes me up and I’m more likely to do my hair and makeup.  I don’t dress too comfy because it will make me tired and I’ll want to take a nap.  If I put an outfit on I will get more done during the day. 

Me: What are your best tips on how to study properly?

Julie: I rewrite everything.  Rewrite definitions over and over again and only revisit the ones you’re having trouble with so you don’t waste your time.  Also, read the book.  There are always questions on tests nobody knows because they are hidden in the textbook.  Study for an hour, take a 20-minute break and then see what information you retained in the hour of studying. 

Me: What do you do in your down time in order to relax?

Julie: I always listen to music.  I listen to music when I’m studying and when I’m relaxing.  Sometimes I’ll just sit on the couch in the Enactus room because napping isn’t always the best option.  Naps can make you more tired than you were before. 

Me: How does your personality attribute to the way you are regarding your grades?

Julie: I’m an anxious person.  If I don’t know how to do something, I get nervous and work on it until I know it inside and out.  I don’t relax until I feel confident.

Me: Do you consider this a blessing in disguise?

Julie: Absolutely.  I was being interviewed for an internship and I told them my biggest weakness ends up being my biggest strength.  Being anxious forces me understand the material inside and out.  It’s not always a bad thing.

We all have strengths and we all have weaknesses as students.  Just because one approach may work for someone doesn’t mean it will work for you.  However, it can be a good idea to take advice from others, especially if it’s from our peers.  They are 20 and “winging it” just like you. Power through the hell weeks, cut down on the naps and buy that 3rd cup of Dunkin.  You’ll probably need it. 

Junior. Sports Fanatic. Lover of Words. Coffee Addict. Dreamer.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.