Spooky Songs That Won’t Make Your Friends Scream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

It’s Halloween night. You and your friends have a wicked night planned. The pregame is just about to start. The costumes are finished, the drinks are poured, and the music starts to play. “Monster Mash.” “Ghost Busters.” “Jeepers Creepers.” “Thriller.”

RIP to your music playlist.

As corny and fun as the Halloween songs are, they died long ago. So in order to keep the party alive while all of your friends are dressed like The Walking Dead, listen to these eight spooky singles to keep the house mad. I promise you, heads will roll.

1.     “Stressed Out” – Twenty One Pilots

Start the night out right with a song everyone will want to know the name of. Catchy yet creepy, this rap-alternative combo will cast a spell on the entire crowd.

2.     “Disturbia” – Rihanna

Let’s bring it back to 2008, the wonder years. If “Disturbia” doesn’t make you sweat your Halloween makeup off, nothing will.

3.     “Heads Will Roll” – Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Literally. They will. Whether you know the lyrics or not, this is a song any witch can dance to– and if this isn’t your style, there are hundreds of great remixes to fit the mood.

4.     “She Wolf” – Shakira

SOS time to step out of your cage. Now’s the time to howl.

5.     “True Blood” – Justin Timberlake

This is the new “Thriller.” Emulating Michael Jackson’s spooky-sexy vibe, nobody will believe this is JT when it comes on.

6.     “Insane ft. Moon Holiday” – Flume

Without any better explanation, this is the song to listen to when you’re scary drunk. Every part can be dissected, and you’re sure to feel it in your bones.

7.     “Mad House” – Rihanna

Play this to set the creepy ambience. “Mad House” keeps the creepy static radio sound up as the party dies down.

8.     “High for This” – The Weeknd

Here we go. Everyone knows The Weeknd, and Abel’s haunting vocals are sure to please every ghoul crawling home.

So when you’re dying to listen to some Halloween jams, but are trapped by images of the “Flying Purple People Eater,” throw these on your Halloween playlist and get ready for the best Halloween of your life.

Buffalo native, creative by nature.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.