8 Things I Wish I Knew Before Being a Student at SBU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

1. It is okay if you don’t know what you want to do with your life

Don’t be fooled by the few who have their lives completely figured out. It’s normal to change your major, even more than once!

2. Squirrels are a thing here and you have to be okay with that.

I’m not sure why but they are really, really loved around here. You will learn to appreciate them, too.

3.     DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT wish you were an upperclassman

This is important – take notes. You are so lucky to be a freshman and have the next few years to be at an amazing school with great professors and awesome friends. Time is going to pass regardless, so enjoy every moment!

4.     You’re gonna meet people who are exactly like you…

…and it will be strange – embrace it. They are the ones who are going to help you survive these next few years.

5.     Don’t spend all of your time in the library. Go out. Do stuff.

It’s true – we are here to learn or whatever but we are also here to make some awesome memories. So go out and play around with your friends, you only have 4 short years with them. Who knows where we will all end up after college.

6.     Hickey food is bad. Get over it ASAP and live a happier life.

This is inevitably the face you will make when you see some of the food they serve, but at least there is always ice cream and pizza.

7.     Pretend the gym is a class you HAVE to go to

Because eventually all of that pizza and ice cream will catch up with you.

8.     Going to SBU is one of the best decisions you will ever make

Don’t get me wrong – at first you may wonder why you chose to go to a school in the middle of nowhere, but then it will all make sense. And if it doesn’t, you should probably transfer.

A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.