free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Alicia Montgomery: Woman of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Recently, our Vice President and Social Media Director Naomi had the opportunity to interview one of our campus queens and leaders, Alicia Montgomery, member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and the newly elected SGA Vice President 2017-2018! 

Naomi:  What made you decide to attend Savannah State?

Alicia:  I wanted to attend a school that was rich in culture which is why I decided to attend Savannah State University, the oldest HBCU in Georgia. I wanted to leave Atlanta, but not be too far away. Knowing successful people that went to Savannah State and were very much in love with their school made me decide to give it a try.  

Naomi:  What’s your favorite thing about attending an HBCU?

Alicia: My favorite thing about attending an HBCU is the love. We’re such a close-knit family and learning about OUR history more in depth was everything to me. The culturally relevant education and diversity from an HBCU is imperative for me.  

Naomi:  What’s your opinion on the HBCU vs. PWI debate?

Alicia: It’s no debate. The HBCU Experience is one that cannot be compared.

Naomi:  What organizations are you involved in and why did you decide to join?

Alicia: I decided to join organizations that met my personal mission in life. I am committed to public service and I joined organizations that breed leadership and enhance life skills.

• National Society of Leadership and Success                            President                                               2016-2017

• Miss Achievers of Today and Tomorrow                                   Organization Queen                            2016-Present

• Young Democrats of Georgia                                                      Community Network Director           2016-2017

• White House Initiative HBCU All-Star                                        Appointed Ambassador                      2016-2017

• Golden Key International Honour Society                                Member                                                 2015- Present

• Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated                               Anti-Tamiochous                                   2017- Present

• Freshman Academy                                                                      Treasurer                                                 2015-Present

• Accounting Association                                                                Member                                                   2015-2016

• Curly In College                                                                              Member                                                  2016- Present

• Student Government Association                                               SGA Vice President                               2017-2018 

Naomi:  If you could change one thing about SSU what would it be?

Alicia:  If I could change one thing at SSU it would be to update technology resources.

Naomi: What advice would you give to incoming freshman?

Alicia: I would encourage all freshman to meet people, leave their rooms , attend events, and apply themselves in every aspect of college. When times are rough remember why you chose to come to college, what made you complete the application process and move forward. Maintaining motivation is key and getting a mentor is something I would heavily encourage.  

Naomi:  What do enjoy doing in your free time?

Alicia: I love to have fun! In my free time I usually paint, watch a movie, play chess, or sleep.  

Naomi:  One quote that you live by?

Alicia: Your life is what you make it. Make it good.  

Naomi:  What is your major, why did you choose it, and what are your plans after graduation?

Alicia: My major is business management, and it was chosen based on an assessment I took when I began to apply for college. After college, I plan on moving to Indiana for a few years. I have a job offer there and I will accept it because I loved the internship.

Naomi: What are the best and worst moments of your college experience so far?

Alicia: The best experience was completing my freshman year and realizing this was something I can do. My worst experience was losing Freshman class President election. That was my first time doing something like that and I stepped way out of my comfort zone for what at first felt like nothing until I began to get involved despite my loss. 

Naomi: What are you most passionate about in life?

Alicia: I am most passionate about education. It’s something I take very seriously.

Naomi: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

Alicia: I NEVER wanted to go to college. As a graduate from Therrell High my old classmates and administration will tell you this was something I just did not think I was capable of. I didn’t apply for any scholarships or take the SAT or ACT until the summer before I enrolled at Savannah State. I didn’t go to the college fairs or talk to recruiters because I did not care about school. I never saw myself as one of “those people”, I would have never imagined to be here in college now, doing well at that. 

Naomi: How does it feel to be Savannah State University’s Woman of the Year 2017-2018?

Alicia: I really feel honored. I try to be the best I can be for myself. Being involved on my campus and in my community is very important to me. I’m really big on giving back and spending my time to help make a difference. I also care about the people in my community which is why I make every effort to reach out as often as I can or even in passing. Offering my time or assistance is something I’m known for doing and I feel that my efforts were acknowledged through this award which Is why I am humbly grateful to be a recipient.

21 year old, black, lesbian, Scorpio woman, from Queens, NY currently living in Atlanta, GA. Senior mass communications major at Savannah State University with a minor in dance. I am a dancer, model, actress, and writer. I'm clumsy, I love animals and anime, I'm terrified of bugs, and i hate pickles. In my spare time I love to read, catch up on my fave shows, volunteer at the animal shelter, excersise, spend time with my family and friends, travel, and cuddle with my girlfriend.