Paris Baker: The Game Changer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Recently, our Campus Correspondent, Otissia had an opportunity to catch up with one of the most loved people on campus: Paris Baker. Baker is a student athlete and with his 6’4, 257lbs frame it’s not hard to guess he’s one of the football teams prized possessions. Baker is known for being the funny man on campus but we got a chance to get to know the man behind the smile.

Name: Paris Baker

Hometown: Savannah, GA

Major: Business Management

Relationship Status: Single

Otissia: How would you describe your college experience?

Paris: I would describe my college experience as a stage of maturity because of transitioning from high school to college to where in high school a parent or guardian is somewhat responsible for my actions but college everything is all on me to grow a learn on my own.

Otissia: Why did you decide to attend Savannah State University?

Paris: I decided to attend Savannah State University because Savannah, Ga is my hometown and I want it to be known to my hometown peers that you do not have to go off to college to achieve your dreams.

Otissia: As a senior, what do wish you could have told your freshman self?

Paris: As a senior, I wish I would’ve told the freshman me to hold myself accountable always because it will affect me overall.

Otissia: What motivates you to keep going, knowing hard college can be?

Paris: My motivation that keeps my striving knowing that college is hard is my household because of how I grew up and how bad I want more for the people that was aside of me through the struggle.

Otissia: What is your favorite part about college?

Paris: My favorite part about college is football and the excitement that comes from the student body on homecoming week.

Otissia: What is your favorite memory as a freshman & senior?

Paris: My favorite experience as a freshman was coming into college and having a chance to enjoy a week dedicated to all freshman only.

Otissia: What advice can you give incoming freshman?

Paris: The advice I would give to incoming freshman is to hold yourself accountable, be a leader, and work first party later.

Otissia: If you could go back and re-live or redo any experience in college what would it be?

Paris: If I can go back and relive in moment in my college career it would be the first football game Savannah State University has one while playing in the MEAC.

Otissia: Who’s your biggest inspiration?

Paris: My biggest inspiration will be my mom, step dad, and cousin Percell and Family because these are the people that has strength to take care of personal/family situations and never left my side and always have something positive to say that keeps me going.

Otissia: What are you most proud of accomplishing in college?

Paris: I am most proud of being able to call myself a student-athlete, being one step closer to a goal (graduate), and being a role model to those that look up to me. I may not know who looks up to me be I know that someone is watching.

Otissia: What is our major and why did you choose it?

Paris: My major is Business Management because as a young black male I want to be my own boss while helping give back to community that raised me.

Otissia: What do you hope to accomplish after graduation?

Paris: After graduation, I planned to move out of Savannah and open my own entertainment business.

Otissia: How important is football to your life and would you consider doing any other sport?

Paris: Football is very important in my life because I have been playing since I was 6 years of age and few can play the sport of football but many wish they can. I do not wish to play any other sport but Football.

Otissia: If you could change one thing about your college career what would it be?

Paris: I wouldn’t change anything about my college career because I am not satisfied but I’m learning and becoming a better person every day because of the people I encounter in such a great environment.

Otissia: How important is a college education to you?

Paris: A college education is very important, actually one of the key elements in life because football can be taken away from me in a split second but the education learned will always be here.

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.