This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

I recently had an opportunity to interview one of SSU’s top scholars Austin Dasent, a student majoring in Mass Communications here at Savannah State University. 21 year old Dasent is a native of Charlotte, North Carolina. Being a stellar performer on and off the court is no easy task, but Dasent gets the job done.

Alicia: Why did you decide to go to Savannah State? 

Austin: I really wanted to get the HBCU experience. Coming from a small junior college there was not much to do or be involved in. The change of atmosphere was what I needed. 

Alicia: Who inspires you the most? 

Austin: My parents inspire me the most. They put a lot of effort into making sure things are well for me. They support me in basketball and school especially and the support they give me makes me work harder to make them proud.

Alicia: What are your post-graduation plans? 

Austin: After graduation, I intend on furthering my basketball career. Once I retire, I will began working in the field of broadcasting.

Alicia: How long have you been playing basketball?

Austin: Ever since I was 5 I have played basketball. I remember playing basketball when I was 8. I spent all night shooting until 1:30 in the morning. It was then that I realized basketball was the sport for me.

Alicia: What was your most memorable game?

Austin: My most memorable game was my junior year of high school when I played my first State Championship game. I will never forget the feeling I had when I got a ring. That was the greatest moment of my life.

Alicia: Who is your favorite basketball player and why?

Austin: Lebron James, hands down. His natural talent, IQ of controlling the game, and ability to make everyone around him better are reasons why he is my favorite.

Alicia: How do you want your teammates to describe you?

Austin: My teammates would describe me as a dependable, hardworking leader. My teammates can come to me in any situation because they know I will always have their backs.

Alicia: What’s in your gym bag that might surprise people?

Austin: My bible is with me everywhere I go, even in my gym bag. A strong relationship with God is very important to me and being able have my bible with me while I’m on the go is essential for numerous reasons.

Alicia: What song pumps you up before a game?

Austin: I love rap music and the song that really gets me hype is Met Gala by Offset. Being a guy that plays hard this song gets me in the mindset to do exactly that.

Alicia: What is a quote that you live by?

Austin: “I put a lot of pressure on myself. I think something’s not good enough and I won’t stop until I feel like I’ve made it. I’m never satisfied.” – J. Cole

Alicia: If your life could be depicted in a song which would it be and why?

Austin: Married to the Game by Future because I love basketball so much. It plays a huge part in my life and I’m in it for the long run.

Alicia: When things are not going so great what helps to motivate you?

Austin: Music is the greatest release. I believe everything will be okay so it’s no need to stress over anything.

Alicia: What advice could you give to someone wanting to play basketball?

Austin: You should put your all into anything that you do but for basketball specifically 110 percent is needed. Every chance you get you need to be doing something that will prepare you such as working out consistently, mental elevation, and healthy eating. I would definitely be willing to train someone that wants the help.  

Alicia: Any big plans for this semester?

Austin: Academics come first. Academically, I plan to excel in the classroom. I won’t settle for anything less than all A’s this semester. To win the MEAC and have a chance to play on the big stage are what I consider my big plans. Getting a ring with my teammates is in the plan most definitely.