A Letter to the Broken-Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Dear Broken Hearted Girl,

I know you feel like crumbling and falling deep and deep into your sorrow,

The pain in your heart must feel like a heavy load… heavier than a boulder.

You want to scream to the top of your lungs but the tears you keep crying won’t allow you to. You get angry for loving them and trusting them. You may or may not have wanted “happy forever after”; they might not have been Mr. or Mrs. Right, but they were ‘right at the moment’. All that crosses your brain is  “How could they betray me?” , “How could I be so stupid?” “How did I not know?” It’s not you who is stupid and it is oh so easy to not see the signs when your lover is falling out of love with you. That person will one day realize the good person they missed out on caring for.

So many times when someone breaks our heart, we try to take the blame and wonder what we did wrong for that person to do something so hurtful like leaving us feeling alone. We sit and go back through every scenario that could have led them to walk away so easily. When that person leaves you for someone else , those insecurities start to kick in and you might wonder if the other person is better looking or all other sorts of things. When you begin to think of those things… just stop.

IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT THEY WANTED TO LEAVE!! People make their decisions based off how they feel and not anyone else. If they didn’t want to stay I hate to say it, but it is nothing that you can control.

This may seem like the hardest moments of your life, you can’t breathe, you can’t stop crying, and you want the person who hurt you to pay for what they did.

Here’s where reality comes in, you will wake up in the morning and have to instantly learn how to live without the person that you truly cared for. That person might keep calling and texting trying to apologize, and with the little bit of strength you have left, you let the phone continue to ring.   

This can be the hardest time you feel you might go through, but the key is to not let that one heartbreak harden your heart. It may be hard to let someone back in your heart afterwards, but not every person that comes to your life is out to hurt you. As a wise person told me, “You have to kiss a few frogs to find your Prince Charming.” With heartbreak comes wisdom. When you go through your first heartbreak it helps you to know what you won’t go through ever again. When it comes to the matters of the heart, it is important that you are careful when letting your guard down.

So to the heart-broken girl that may be crying in her pillow , or listening to her sad songs right now, just know that the pain does not last forever. There is someone special out there for all of us , it just may take time to find them.

Yours truly,

A survivor