This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

For those of you who are new to HerCampus, we are an organization who loves to acknowledge the women of Savannah State who are doing exceptional things around campus as well as throughout the community. Cierra is a Senior Political Science major with a concentration in Pre- Law and a minor in Naval Science.  She is a member of the Rho Beta chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., where she serves as treasurer. She also is the Midshipman Commanding Officer over Savannah State’s Naval ROTC program. Read more to find out about this phenomenal woman.

Diamond: What made you want to attend Savannah State?

Cierra:  I was blessed to have an opportunity to join the NROTC program and with that came a scholarship, so I was especially elated when I got the news. Knowing that is was an HBCU also helped to confirm my decision to attend.

Diamond:  What has been the hardest thing about college for you so far?

Cierra: Time management for sure. I was taking 19 credit hours, having to wake up at 5 am for ROTC, having to deal with all other college things and the other organizations that I was a part of. I’ve luckily figured it out finally.

Diamond: What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment so far?

Cierra: I would say that being chosen to represent Savannah State at a leadership conference at the prestigious Yale University and being able to hold my own was a shining accomplishment in my collegiate career.

Diamond: What is the best thing about being in a sorority?

Cierra: The best thing for me would be the sisterhood that I’ve gained through an organization of like-minded women. The networking opportunities are abundant and resourceful, and being able to interact constantly with people who are not in my peer group has helped me to grow. I can honestly say that becoming a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. was one of the greatest decisions I’ve ever made.

Diamond: Who would you say is your biggest inspiration?

Cierra: I could not give all the credit to one person honestly. My family, close friends, sorors, professors, and military advisors have all been an instrumental part in my current and future success. It truly takes a village and I’m blessed to be a part of a great one!

Diamond: How would you say you have changed from your freshman year to now?

Cierra: I have definitely matured and most importantly I’ve learned to seize every opportunity that comes my way. I’ve begun to set goals and meet them, speak with people I would not have approached as a freshman, and to truly appreciate the experience I get to have by attending an HBCU.

Diamond: What advice would you give incoming freshmen?

Cierra: I would tell them to drop the “C’s get degrees” mentality. We should strive to represent excellence and to not play into the minimalistic and underachieving stereotypes that have helped to shape our generation. The ultimate goal is freedom, opportunity, and happiness. We can’t get that by being mediocre.

Diamond: Why did you decide to be a Political Science major?

Cierra: I’ve always been interested in politics and international relations. I hope to be able to go into the field of international relations after my military service.

Diamond: What is something that not a lot of people know about you?

Cierra: I did gymnastics for 10 years and was a state and national gymnastics champion.