The Care Free Black Girl Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Over the last decade or so a new trend of woman is starting to emerge and we are totally here for it! Increasingly more black women are embracing their inner care free black girl and celebrating the positive in black women around the world! Whatever form care free may come in, each and every one is being accepted, celebrated, and lifted! The care free black girl: is a girl who does not live by anyone else’s standards, judgment, and guideline but her own. She loves, accepts, and celebrates her uniqueness for the beauty it is and refuses to be ashamed of who she is. There are millions of women who are embracing this not as a trend but now as a way of life, deciding that they will forever be true to who they are and not go back to society’s norms. We have complied a list of care free black women celebrate who they are 24/7, and encourage women around the world to do the same every day! See if you see your care free twin! (p.s. we’ve also thrown in a few tips and tricks to help you live your best care free life babe!). 

1. SZA was the hottest care free black girl for the summer of 2017! She released her highly anticipated album “CTRL” this summer with jams such as ” Supermodel”, ” Broken Clocks”, “Love Galore”, and of course everyone’s favorite “The Weekend”. SZA is unapologetically honest and vulnerable with her insecurities, emotions, and fears. She gave a voice for those who felt ashamed to admit their fears, mistakes, intimacy issues, love of sex, desires, and never feeling good enough.SZA believes in  the ability to let the go of trying to control life and letting life just lfe happen. Life is not going to happen the way you would like for it to happen so stop trying to CTRL (control) life. This simple philosophy started The CTRL  movement. A movement where people of all races, ages, and sexes declare that they are going to let go of CTRL and start letting life happen as beautifully as possible. She opened up a whole new gateway for a generation of young women to not feel alone and accept and love their imperfections for the beauty they are. 

2. Cardi B is THE UlTIMATE care free black girl! Cardi B embodies the true definition of what it means to be a care free black girl: free, unapologetic, self- motivated, beautiful, funny, talented, and opinionated! She doesn’t apologize for what she says, she’s open and honest about sex, she’s funny and never takes life to serious, demands respects in all aspects of her life, and is proud of the self- dedication it took to climb her way to the top! This summer she released the care free black girl national anthem ” Bodak Yellow”! In the song Cardi describes how she you can not take away her self confidence now that she has reached a new level of success. She states in the song that ” you can’t touch me if you wanted too” which emulates no one can make her feel inferior because she’s in a space where that isn’t mentally possible. Her demeanor, attitude, and way of life is what makes her, every black girls, best friend. Cardi B has archived amazing success this year. She is the first woman in 20 years, since Lauryn Hill, to have the #1 single in the country without a feature. She has won three BET awards for Hustler of the Year, Artist of the Year, and Single of the Year. She has been admired gratefully for her amazing fashion since and now has been named a fashion icon. Cardi B is the care free black girl for the year of 2017. 2017 is the year of Cardi B. 

3. Soloange Knowles is the mystical beautiful carefree black girl that allows you to live your hurt, pain, and revival through her angelic music. Soloange album ” A Seat At The Table” has been praised for its rawness, honesty, pureness, and depth. Soloange has created a space for black women to feel free to be open about the hardships black women face on a daily wheatear it’s emotional, physical, social injustices, or mental problems, she makes every black girl know they are not alone and that their feelings are valid. Soloange has created a space called Sain Heron where artist who are not “mainstream” or may appeal as the the typical artist to feel free to express their music, art, poetry, or whatever they do that may seem out of the box or the normal. She created the space after the release of her album. She continues to celebrated the care free black girl who may have been mocked, bullied, and harassed for their awkwardness to feel liberated and free. 

‘These are just three of a many of our favorite care free black girls! Remember these women are just different examples of what a care free girls can be, you are your own care free black girl and you determine how you free yourself from whatever is holding you back from blossoming into the amazing women you are born to to be! 

Here are a few tips on to be your own care free black girl

1. Cut your hair! For alot of black women the first step of receiving inner power was cutting their relaxed hai or even damaged natural hair and starting over with a fresh clean slate. 

2. Change the music you’re listening to! The music we listen to often reflects in the music we listen to. Listen to music that’s uplifts you and nurtures your soul. You may even want to start listening to podcast. BlackGirlInOm is a great one to start with. 

3. Embrace whatever quirks that makes you weird, goofy, awkward, just plain different. Stop trying to change for other people and being accepted by people who cant appreciate you for who you are. You have to start by loving yourself first. 

4. Change your surroundings! Sometimes we don’t notice the people we hang with or the places we hang around can have the biggest influence on our life. Surround yourself with positive people and influences so that you may have that same energy reflect in your life. 

5. Start speaking to yourself in a loving manner. How we feel about ourselves is how other feel about us. when we make an effort to love ourselves correctly and treat ourselves with love and care then so will others. The change begins with you. 

These are just a few tips on how you can start being your own version fo the care free black girl! 

Don’t forget to follow us on social media @HCSavannahState on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest. 

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.