courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

An Open Letter to a High School Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Dear high school senior,

It’s now the beginning of October, You probably are about to experience your last Homecoming of high school and played your last home game of the fall season. This is when you start to realize that your months of high school are ending. Trust me, it hits hard. You realize that the group of friends that you’ve hung out with, defended, played with, and bonded with since you were 4 or 5 years old will not be out there on the field with you next year. When you reach your senior night, you probably will cry for the first time (or you sob hysterically, like I did when I saw my senior friends walk out and get recognized) and it finally hits you that this is all coming to an end. You also start to realize that you might never play this sport again. Some of you will continue to play college sports and that’s great. Some of you will realize that you are going to move on and focus on school and your final goal, a degree in the career you want. 

It’s absolutely crazy to imagine that you are almost done with your first semester of high-school. I remember being in your shoes trying to impress colleges and arguing with my mom over when my curfew would be (trust me its not worht it, she always wins). I remember the dumb fights we had over my attitude and the way I disrespected her because I thought I knew it all. I’m here to tell you, pause. Stop reading this and take a breath, just relax. You will need to practice this. Leaving for school I realized other people grew up totally different than me. They grew up in classes of 400 where you did not know everyone, while I grew up knowing all of my classmates, their birthdates, grandparents, parents, and if I was lucky enough, their parents would punish me just like they would punish them. 

Reality will hit as soon as you put your cap and gown on, walking across the stage to get your diploma will feel unreal until you start packing for a new adventure.  With that in mind, it is important to focus on the here and now.  One day it will hit you that you will no longer enter the halls as an AFC student, but nearly as an alumn. Take in EVERY moment you can. I promise this thought will be hard to swallow at first, yet leaving is liberating. It allows you to feel free and feel like you are able to fully reach your goals and become the perosn you truly are.  With this in mind, its important that you take the time to thank your teachers, friends, family, and your biggest supporters.

Remember to take the pictures, Smile often, stay out late, eat at all of your favorite hometown resteraunts, and be a kid. Trust me, as lame as it sounds you will miss this. I never imaged that I would eventually miss the hometown atmosphere, friday nights with best friends, and abillity to hug my family. As you enter this new phase of life, finishing highschool, exploring an adventure of “lasts”, remember you are about to enter a whole new world of “firsts”!

They tell you time flies and you will never believe it until its your turn and then it makes you realize time doesn’t just fly, it sores by. This weekend is your final homecoming. Stay out late with friends, choose to spend time with family, and remember to have good fun! Be safe and make smart decisions. Go TP the highschool, TP your friends house, confetti a car, but refrain from getting in trouble. Do not be the kid to use shaving cream on a car or explicitly vandalize (or be the Class of 2018 who put furniture on the front lawn! Funny and memorable, but they got into trouble).

Entering college is a whole new ball game. You will meet new friends, understand fully that others have seperate views, and truly find yourself. Remeber that its okay to not be okay and I promise that you will figure it all out. Remeber to keep your family close to you, you will surely need them.  If I can give you one pro tip, find a roomate, but meet them SEVERAL times in person; this is imperative. If not, I promise that you may end up with some roomate conflicts. Your RA can be a close friend and a great ally. Step up and step out. Step up for those who struggle alone and step out of your comfort zone to make new connections and great friends. 

Finally, to the AFC class of 2020, I am so thankful I had the opportunity to watch you all morph into the beutiful and amazing young adults you are. I am so proud and amazed at all of you. I promise that each of you will go far in life and conquer many things. Understanding the small town life, I want to tell you that it’s okay to break off friendships and start new ones. I have yet to speak to some of my classmates whom I was close with and that’s ok. So take the pictures, make the memories, and reach out if you ever need help. Don’t cry because its over, just think of the things you are about to do! 

Sincerely, 

A Freshman whose proud of you!

Sophomore at SAU with a passion for helping others. I am currently in pursuit of my RN, which will eventually open opportunities to reach out and better serve others. Besides writing, I enjoy going to the gym, hanging out with friends, and reading. I am also an ER tech! You can find me on instagram @amie1229!