Flower Tile?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Flower Tile?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HBO Entertainment

Why Having a Friend Code When Going Out is Extremely Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

When you go out to a party, a club, or even a function with a group of friends, do you have the “friend code” established?

It is extremely important that every group of friends has a friend code when going out to ensure everyone’s safety. If you are not familiar with the friend code, it goes something like this:

Never let your friends wander off alone. Always go to the bathroom together. Keep an eye on one another throughout the entire night. Always watch who your friend is talking to or hanging out with. MOST importantly we came together, and we leave together. 

Today, it is extremely important to uphold this code when going out. you never know who you might run into or meet throughout the duration of the night. There is always a possibility or chance that the night could take a turn and become a traumatic experience for all those involved. 

Now, I know that you can get so caught up in the fun and excitement of the night, but you always need to be aware of your surroundings. Scary things can always happen. This is in no way a fear tactic to make you too scared to go out, but rather a way to bring awareness to the fact that bad things do in fact happen, especially in college. 

26.4% of females and 6.8% of males experience rape or sexual assault in college and 13% of students overall, experience the same on a college campus. While the “friend code” is not a 100% for sure way to prevent anything from happening, it is a necessary precaution and a useful tactic to help avoid it.

Other ways to aid yourself in staying out of harmful situations is to purchase yourself self-defence gadgets. For example, getting yourself either pepper spray or even a taser just in case is a great way to ease your hindrance when going out and a great tool to help protect yourself. Another helpful tool is a small device called a Birdie, this device is used as a personal alarm that emits a loud chirping sound whenever the trigger is pulled in case you are ever in danger. I would highly recommend getting at least one self-defence tool just in case of an emergency. 

I know you should never live your life in fear of the ‘what if’, but with the recent rise in rape and assault cases, you can never be too careful when going out to have fun. So, make sure to always keep any eye on your friends and your surroundings, and spread the importance of having a “friend code” when going out with others.

Samantha Ortiz

San Francisco '26

Hi everyone! My name is Samantha. I am so excited to be part of Her Campus San Francisco as a writer!