Huntsville’s Hidden Treasure: Our One and Only Salvadorian Restaurant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SHSU chapter.

While attending Sam and living in Huntsville, we’ve all experienced our fair share of Mexican food. In fact, Huntsville is full of Mexican food restaurants. But, growing up in Texas and loving Tex-Mex cuisine, I definitely don’t complain. In fact, I can’t get enough of some good chips and salsa and an occasional strong margarita! However, if you want to try something a little different, go to El Carbonero, Huntsville’s one and only El Salvadorian food restaurant! I, along with two other Her Campus writers, tried it and immediately fell in love. El Carbonero is the perfect spin on Mexican food. It offers the same basic menu items as a typical Mexican restaurant, but they’re slightly different and have a one-of-a-kind taste.
One example of this is a pupusa; I’ve never even heard of this food until I went to El Carbonero. Since it was one of the specials, I asked the waitress what it was. She described it as the Salvadorian version of a tostada. However, the tortilla is much thicker and is fried with a little bit of grease. And, living in the South, I can vouch that the fried-version of anything is definitely better.
The sides at El Carbonero are exactly what you would guess: rice and beans. However, the taste of these sides is unlike the one you might experience in a Tex-Mex cuisine. The Salvadorian version of these foods have a zest and flavor that I wasn’t before familiar with, but immediately decided that I would love to get used to. It was different, yet very delicious. Along with these two sides, El Carbonero also serves an unusual side: a mini rotisserie chicken. That’s right, when you order your entrée of enchiladas or tacos, you’ll get your own personal side of rotisserie chicken, cooked to perfection.
Like a typical Mexican restaurant, there are certain foods that are also a staple at El Carbonero. These include the appetizer of chips and salsa and, of course, quench-thirsting margaritas in pretty much any flavor imaginable (we suggest star fruit!). Don’t forget to try some chicken enchiladas with queso, too.
So, if you’re a fan of Tex-Mex cuisine, you’re definitely going to love the food served here. Not only is the food great, but the menu’s prices are very inexpensive and includes several cheap lunch specials. And, as college students, we have to admit that a cheap meal is always an incentive when choosing where to eat.   
            Next time you’re feeling hungry be sure to try El Carbonero! It’s located next to Three Spoons Yogurt in the same complex and Shenanigans and Confetti’s. Once you try it, you’ll be sure to go back!

Lauren Hall is a senior English major at Sam Houston State University, minoring in Secondary Education. She considers herself a typical Southern girl, having grown up in the small town of Teague, Texas (pop. 4,500). When she's not busy with school work, Lauren is probably spending time with her large family, her twin sister, and her five best friends, who she has been friends with since preschool. She loves to read, cook, travel, and spend time at her family's lakehouse and at church. After graduation, Lauren plans on getting a job teaching high school English and journalism. She plans to start on her Master's degree as soon as possible, and hopes to eventually teach at the college level.