Craig Alaniz ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SHSU chapter.

The Sam Houston State football team made history this season. Afters steadily improving over the past few years, SHSU finally made it to the NCAA Division I National Football Championship in Frisco, Texas. Although the Bearkats lost in a heartbreaking game against North Dakota State, it was a huge achievement and an accomplishment that put both SHSU and Huntsville on the map. In response to the football team’s recent success, we interviewed Sam Houston kicker, Craig Alaniz.

Hometown: Deer Park, Texas

Major: General Business

Q: When did you start playing football?
A: I started in 7th grade.

Q: What influenced you and why is the sport important to you?
A: I started because I liked the contact sport. The thing that influenced me was that everyone else was playing so I thought I would give it a try. It’s important to me because it has taught me different kinds of skills, and to have good sportsmanship.

Q: Who is your favorite player/influence of all time and why?
A: My favorite player is Jason Elam because of the accomplishments he had while he was in Denver.

Q: Anything you would like to say about this season’s experience?
A: This season’s experience was quite amazing and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. My teammates were incredible!

Q: What advice/motivating words would you give to SHSU’s players next year?
A: Some words I would tell to the players next year is just to not get complacent. When that happens, everything starts going bad.

Q: What are your plans for after SHSU?
A: My plans for after Sam Houston are still undecided. Eventually I’ll figure out what I want to do!

Lauren Hall is a senior English major at Sam Houston State University, minoring in Secondary Education. She considers herself a typical Southern girl, having grown up in the small town of Teague, Texas (pop. 4,500). When she's not busy with school work, Lauren is probably spending time with her large family, her twin sister, and her five best friends, who she has been friends with since preschool. She loves to read, cook, travel, and spend time at her family's lakehouse and at church. After graduation, Lauren plans on getting a job teaching high school English and journalism. She plans to start on her Master's degree as soon as possible, and hopes to eventually teach at the college level.