Nora Kilkenny: GAELIC FOOTBALL STAR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Hometown: Bronx, NY

Year: Junior

Major: Accounting

Zodiac Sign: Gemini

Favorite Food: Eggs

Favorite Color: Green

Favorite Holiday: St. Patrick’s Day

Favorite Quote: “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, ‘I used everything you gave me.'”–Erma Bombeck

What clubs/organizations are you involved in on campus?

I am a member of BuildOn. This new club on campus focuses on breaking the cycle of illiteracy and poverty around the world. I am also a member of Heartfelt Designs, a student run business that donates 100% of profits to SHU mission related activities. This semester, I am also joining Sacred Heart’s Women’s rugby team.

What have been your most memorable moments here at Sacred Heart thus far?

My most memorable moments here at Sacred Heart have definitely been meeting and creating unforgettable memories with my four best friends here. They’re the “friends for life” kind of people… The kind of friends that my kids will one day call their aunts.

I heard you are involved in Gaelic Football and you travel to a lot of different countries to play. Tell us about your favorite memories or places you’ve been.

I have been playing Gaelic Football since I was about seven years old. My Father is from Ireland and taught me how to play years ago. I quickly picked up his love for the game. He was my coach from seven to seventeen years old. Gaelic Football has given me the privilege to travel to Ireland with various teams a total of nine times spanning from ages 12 to 20. The Ladies’ Junior All Ireland was the highest level of competition I have competed in while in Ireland. The New York Ladies competed in 2011 and 2014, making it to the final both years and coming in second place.

Over spring break, I competed in the first ever GAA World Games, which took place in Abu Dhabi. I was lucky enough to be selected as one of the twelve women to represent New York, which only had four American-born players (the other eight were Irish born). This tournament included teams from Asia, Australasia, Argentina, Canada, Europe, the Middle East, New York, North America, and South Africa. It was an unforgettable experience and a joy to watch the national sports of Ireland spread to a global platform. Overall, the New York Ladies finished third in the competition!

My friends always ask me why I still play Gaelic Football and I can never come up with a straight answer. This sport is second nature to me. Gaelic football is what binds my family together. My four siblings and I still cannot get enough of the game. If I stopped playing I would lose a part of myself.

Check out this video to get a better feel for the game:

Is there something that we should know about you that we don’t already?

Fun fact: I am the middle child of five. I have an older brother and sister and a younger brother and sister.

Where do you see yourself five years from now?

Five years from now, I see myself still figuring everything out…in a pantsuit of course.

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.