This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Oh no! You have a meeting at 9am, then you have to work a shift in the afternoon from 11am to 4pm. You also have to pick up your siblings and cook dinner for yourself and the rest of the family. Then you have an important project to do that’s due in two days and an exam the day after. You end up sleeping less and working more, which leads to eating unhealthy food.

It’s tough and it seems like there’s barely any time for self-care! The most important thing you need to do is prioritize what is important in your life, then find time to schedule in a few minutes of self-care. The most productive form of self-care is exercise.

With these 4 steps, getting in shape during this next year with be easy and quick. You can definitely get back in shape and stay health with as little as 5-15 minutes each day. More time is better, but the intensity matters the most if you have a busy schedule.

1. Do 7 Minute Workouts

Photo by Luke Durward from Pixabay

We are always busy and on our phones, so why not use this as a opportunity to use our phones for fitness? Download the 7 minute workout app or any other fitness apps that you can find in your app store.

It’s just 7 minutes of commitment, that’s all! If you have more time, just replay the workout circuit and do it all over again until you want to stop. You can even download other useful apps where you can keep track of the calories you consume or the amount of steps you take while walking.

2. Multi-task Workouts

Photo by Irina Logra from Pixabay

While I am working on projects, cooking or taking a shower, I try to multitask and incorporate workout moves at the same time. For example, I can do calf raises as I shower. I can do squats or yoga while I watch tv or a lecture video. I can do pushups or sit ups as I listen to my lecture recording, video or read my textbook. It’s not an intense workout, but at least you’re exercising!

This is just to give a few brief examples of what you can do to get a simple and easy workout during your day. I know some of you guys might find it difficult to multitask or at least struggle to do it efficiently, so this is completely optional! Another option is inviting friends to work out with you to make working out enjoyable!

3. Meal-Prep

Photo by Jelly from Pixabay

Plan ahead and make meals for the rest of the week to save you from the stress of finding time to cook. This also prevents you from spending too much money eating out and you’re more likely to eat healthy if you cook your meals. One meal example could be making a sandwich wrap with chicken, lettuce, cheese and tomato inside of it. On the side you can have baby tomatoes, fruit, yogurt, or nuts.

If you have no idea where to start, check our USDA’s sample healthy meal plans here and meal recipes here inspired by My Plate concept. The My Plate concept follows a diet that incorporates vegetables, fruits, protein, grains, and dairy (dairy being optional in your diet). If you need more food recipes, there are many recipes you can search for online.

4. Use a Planner

Photo by RawPixels from Pixabay

If you’re on a tight schedule, make sure you’re well-organized and keeping yourself accountable. When you write down your commitments and make them real in your mind, it becomes easier to schedule time to do other things like a short workout.

You can use an online planner such as Google calendar or Outlook calendar if you like everything done electronically, or you could buy a physical planner to list all your tasks, important deadlines, work schedule, class schedule, extracurricular, etc.

Finding time to self-care and get back in shape is hard, but it’s not impossible. Small efforts can go a long way. You might not make big changes, but you’re giving your body the care it needs by taking time to get physically stronger and a mental break from all the hard work.

Jasmine Duong

Sacramento '22

Hello, I’m Jasmine Duong. I’m a second year at Sacramento State, majoring in pre-nursing with a minor in dance and/or nutrition. My hobbies include reading, doing makeup, exercising, hanging with anyone, shopping, & dancing! If I’m not studying, you can find me all over campus socializing!