This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Students sit in chairs throughout the University Union ballroom, talking while their friends get them popcorn to share, all of them waiting for the screening of “Aquaman” on the ballroom projection screen.

“I think UNIQUE is a really great organization to have on campus,” says student Leticia Sanchez. “The events are so much fun to go to, it never feels like a waste of time.”

Photo Courtesy of Jessica Vernone

UNIQUE Programs, started in the school year of 1978-79, was formed by a group of students who wanted to provide students with entertainment and give them a “sense of community on campus,” says Ajamu Lamumba, the UNIQUE Programs advisor.

This program is led by Lamumba and his team of student volunteers who are dedicated to bringing entertainment to the Sacramento State campus through comedians, music, movies and much more.

“Without UNIQUE, Sacramento State would be just classes, library and study sessions with less of a student culture,” Lamumba says.

Without this program Sacramento State wouldn’t have gotten talent such as Twenty One Pilots, Ella Mai or Ellen DeGeneres to perform at our school.

Photo Courtesy of UNIQUE Programs

“Just like their name, they’re unique. They bring bands and well-known speakers to campus. That Wednesday nooner event has been around forever,” said student Isabel Ibarra.

Though UNIQUE has been around for four decades, in recent years they have been facing issues.

“This past year has been a bit of a struggle to maintain an effective number of volunteers to plan major events,” Lamumba says. “Even though we hosted two sold out concerts and had another full house for Tarana Burke, we have had our challenges maintaining enough volunteers this year.”

All of the events are coordinated and run by student volunteers while Lamumba guides them. Without enough volunteers, UNIQUE could be doing less for the campus community.

“A lot of people talk during our meetings about our need for volunteers to show up and have all hands on deck in order to make these events successful,” Lamumba says.

Photo Courtesy of UNIQUE Programs

Even though UNIQUE is struggling with their numbers, they still managed to put on their 40-year anniversary celebration, including a week of events from a mariachi group to Kel Mitchel and YBN Cordae.

“I think UNIQUE is an essential organization to Sacramento State because it provides a sense of community to the university,” says Sanchez. “It’s a fun way to get involved in campus life while at the same time battling the commuter stereotype that Sac State has.”

If you would like to volunteer for UNIQUE next semester you can sign up and spend about three to four hours a week volunteering.

Kayla Brown

Sacramento '20

Kayla was born and raised in Santa Clarita, California. She transferred to Sacramento State with a major in Journalism and a minor in Digital Communications and Information. She aspires to be a social media manager for companies or become a travel journalist to pursue her lifelong dream of traveling the world. When she isn't in class Kayla can be found in the kitchen practicing the skills she learned in advanced cooking classes. You can also find her editing videos, writing or reading.