nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What is The Full Circle Project?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

At Sacramento State there is a program called Full Circle Project (FCP). I am apart of the program of cohort 7. Every year there is a new cohort of students and it mainly consists of freshman. The transfer students have their own cohort as well.

As a student of FCP, I wanted to share this program with others who don’t know what FCP is or what it’s like being in the program. I interviewed two coordinators, Marietess Masulit and Jennifer Yang, and asked them a series of questions regarding their experience as FCP coordinators and the program in general from their perspectives.

Marietess Masulit: Full Circle Project Program-Career Pathway Coordinator.

Photo Courtesy of Full Circle Project

Jennifer Yang: EOP and FCP Counselor

Photo Courtesy of Full Circle Project

1.     What is FCP?

Marietess says, “Full Circle Project is a program that is created for Asian Pacific Islander students and minorities. It helps students find resources, get advising, being involved on campus, go to events hosted by FCP and lastly getting a sense of belongingness. As college students, the transition is already difficult so having that community and being able to get resources and advice will make the transition a little more bearable and easy.”

Jennifer says that it “Provides a student-centered approach to steadily increase the graduation rates of underrepresented Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) and other high-need students.”

2.    Who is it for?    

Maritess Masulit says, “Anyone can apply to be apart of FCP but most of the students who have previously applied were Asian Pacific Islander students and minorities. It is created for freshmen and transfer students to help them navigate through college.”

3.    What makes FCP special and unique?

Jennifer Yang says, “FCP gives the automatic community vibe. It helps people break their shell and be communicative and interactive. FCP is also student-centered, we focus on students and our priority are the students to help them achieve their academic goals and to get those resources and who to go to. FCP also has many different scholarships for students to help pay for tuition, books, food, transportation, etc.”

Personally, FCP helped me with being involved on campus and I was an extrovert in my FCP classes. I meet great people and friends through FCP that genuinely care and help me. FCP helped me with my communication skills and helped me come out of my comfort zone and go to events either hosted by FCP or other workshops. This helped me learn more about myself and career readiness. The Asian-American studies opened my eyes that people were our age when they started to protest for ethnic studies. So learning the history behind ethnic studies and Asian-American studies helped me stay intrigued.

Full Circle Project isn’t just for Asian and Pacific Islanders. If you are interested or have questions, please click here. There is an application on the Full Circle Project website to fill out as well. FCP gives students of different backgrounds a community and sense of belonging. It also helps students with being involved in campus life. Every year there is a conference regarding FCP across California. They meet together over a span of three days to chat and learn more about the specific chapters at the schools. If you are a FCP student and interested in attending the APAHE conference make sure you apply by Feb 15!

Roya Zaki

Sacramento '22

Hi, My name is Roya Zaki and I'm a writer. I am currently a freshman at Sacramento State majoring in Biology currently pre-med also. I love reading books on wattpad. I'm your typical Pisces I love watching youtube videos and I love listening to music some of my favorite artists are: Ariana Grande, Due Lipa, 5SOS, Justin Bieber, Khalid, Lauv, Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Any member of One Direction.