This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

School may or may not have started for you already. But I’m here to let you in on how you can get through the first couple weeks of classes! Whether you’re an incoming freshman or a senior, these tips are sure to help you on your way to a great start of the new semester. 

1. Write down your schedule for the week 

Photo by Plush Design Studio from Pexels

Did you know that writing down something can help you retain that information better? I’m sure we’ve all heard that somewhere. But it’s true! Writing down your schedule can help you better prepare at the beginning of the day. Knowing what you have ahead of time can better maximize the time you have to do other things than stress over not knowing exactly what your schedule is. Whether it’s in a physical journal or on an iPad, it will help you retain it better regardless. 

2. Get to class at least 10-15 minutes early

Photo by Stanley Morales from Pexels 

The first week of classes is usually when most students show up early. Some do it so they can find the best seats and some simply just want to mentally prepare themselves for what’s to come. Students also want to be there on time so that they won’t miss anything important on the first couple of days. 

3. Make sure you have a notebook or binder paper on the first day 

Photo by Tirachard Kumtanom from Pexels 

Some professors might start to lecture on the very first day of school so make sure that you’re prepared. The first day, or week, of school usually consists of professors going over the syllabus. To be more environment-friendly, syllabi are usually posted online to save paper. Sometimes you’ll want to take note of things that aren’t on the syllabus so it would be helpful to have paper handy. Your professors will let you know which course materials you will need so it’s okay if you don’t have it during the first week. Most professors are lenient about it but make sure you communicate with them if you have any concerns. 

4. Befriend a classmate and get their contact information

Photo by Buro Millennial from Pexels 

Although it might be intimidating at first, it’s very helpful to have the contact information of another classmate. You’re both taking the same class so why not? It would be helpful in terms of trying to catch up if you missed a day of class and also have someone to study the course material with. College is also all about making new connections so befriending a classmate is a great way to get started. 

There you have it, four simple ways that can help you get through the beginning weeks of the new school year. Don’t forget to have fun this semester! Summer may be over now but that shouldn’t stop you from having the time of your life. Welcome back Hornets and good luck this fall semester! 

Samirah Yang

Sacramento '22

Samirah is currently a second year at Sacramento State and majors in Psychology. Some of her interests include writing, photography, videography, and eating.
Leticia is a Campus Correspondent and graduating senior at Sacramento State University. She majors in Sociology and minors in Journalism, hoping to one day serve justice whether that be through writing articles, engaging in social studies, or both. When she isn't racking her brain for pitches on her next story, she's probably taking pictures with her Nikon D3300 while listening to the latest Real Friends album.