timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Restart Your Healthy Habits Post Winter Break.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

The winter break has officially ended, and some of us need to get back to our healthy habits. The freshman 15 exists and we don’t have to be a victim of it. Recently I’ve gotten back to working out and below are a few tips I used to help get back into healthy habits for the new year.

1. Mentality

Photo Courtesy of Binti Malu

Having the right mindset will help you achieve your fitness goals for 2019.  Staying positive and pushing through your workout will keep you consistent throughout your journey. While physical health is an important aspect of keeping a healthy mindset, mental health is also very important. Last semester I went to an API focus group, which mostly focused on mental health including a discussion on the different resources on campus such as career counseling and therapy. 

2. Slow is Steady

Being consistent with healthy habits leads to long term results. Don’t do a heavy, long workout or you can end up being burnt out rest of the week. Start by doing small workouts for at least 15 minutes a day and eventually increasing your workout time. Walking is a great and simple workout to try out! Once you are comfortable with the idea of working out you can later focus on a more intense and concrete schedule.

3. The Well

Photo Courtesy of Snapwire by Pexels

If you didn’t already know, Sacramento State students have free access to The Well, our campus gymnasium. Students are able to workout, take fitness classes, meet with a physical trainer and rock climb. There is a variety of services offered at The Well from discounted medication to therapy at the wellness center.

Every year, the Well also hosts the Sacramento State 5K Fun Run. It will take place on campus Thursday, April 25, 2019. The ticket price varies from the time you buy it, so buy it early to save some bucks. It starts at $16 but can go up to $33 if you wait until the last minute.

4. Expand your options

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

Rotating different workouts can also help you reach your fitness goals faster and not lose motivation. Constantly doing the same workout may lead to a loss of motivation, so incorporating a variety of activities can help you achieve your goals. 

For example, try a dance class. Sacramento State Unique is hosting an event called Salsa Loca Live. Sacramento State Unique a group of student volunteers who come together to bring innovative and quality entertainment to campus. They plan, promote, and produce all UNIQUE events. It’s on April 4th, 2019 and it’s free and it’s located in the University Union Ballroom. You can learn salsa dance lessons and there will be a concert by Pacific Mambo Orchestra.

5. Drink A Ton Of Water

Photo courtesy of raw pixel by pixabay

Drinking water is important! Drinking before a meal helps with weight loss and helps you get full faster so you don’t over eat. You should carry a bottle of water everywhere you go. Thank goodness Sacramento State has filtered water stations everywhere; they are located in buildings across campus such as the University Union, AIRC, Library etc. So, you don’t dehydrate and fill up your water bottle when you can.

Working out is time consuming, but even 30 minutes can help you achieve your fitness goals. Start small, remain consistent and you will see changes. Remember drink a ton of water, try a yoga class, and start slow to form habits. Let 2019 be the year of prospering and achieving your fitness goals.

Roya Zaki

Sacramento '22

Hi, My name is Roya Zaki and I'm a writer. I am currently a freshman at Sacramento State majoring in Biology currently pre-med also. I love reading books on wattpad. I'm your typical Pisces I love watching youtube videos and I love listening to music some of my favorite artists are: Ariana Grande, Due Lipa, 5SOS, Justin Bieber, Khalid, Lauv, Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Any member of One Direction.