This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

It’s finally around the time when students are receiving their acceptance or rejection letters from colleges. This means that it’s finally time to be accepted, rejected or waitlisted from your dream school. 

How to handle rejection?

Photo Courtesy of Burak Kostak from Pexels.

It’s easy to say everything will be okay when it doesn’t feel like it will, but it’s the truth. It’s okay to be rejected from your dream college. I got rejected from my dream college and it felt like a heartbreak. I was crying day and night contemplating my life choices. Why did this happen to me? After a while, I came to the realization that rejection is normal and a part of life. This is just the beginning of a successful journey elsewhere. Remember that it’s okay to cry and cope with your emotions because letting it out will make it easier to accept.

How to choose a college?

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

Choosing a college isn’t easy. There are multiple factors that go into picking the right college since you’ll be there for the next four to five years. These are tips I used when choosing Sacramento State and some factors you should consider when choosing your college.

1. How much is it?

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

It’s really important to know how much you’re paying out of pocket. You need to pay not only for tuition but for housing (If you’re living away from home), food, transportation, etc. Most people have a budget and they choose a school within their budget. It’s important to know in the long run especially if you want to go to graduate school, dental school, medical school, etc. Also, keep in mind how much financial aid you receive and if you’re getting any scholarships.

2. Major Selection

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

You want to be able to go to a school that offers a variety of majors so if you’re undeclared, you can explore your options and get the best of the best.

3. Location

Photo Courtesy Jiarong Deng from Pexels

The setting and location of a school are super important; It can either make or break a college decision for you if you wish for a beautiful environment. For example, if you like beaches you might wish to choose a school near a beach or if you’re inspired by nature you may wish to choose a college with lots of nature surrounding it. Are you comfortable in a city or somewhere that is rural? These are all important points and questions to ask yourself when choosing which school you want to go to.

4. Far From Home

Photo Courtesy of Scott Webb from Unsplash

There is nothing wrong with choosing a school that’s near your family. It’s your choice and preference to do so. There is a stigma around staying close and commuting to college, but there is nothing wrong with it! In fact, you’re saving money and you have a support system close to you. I personally commute and I don’t mind it. I love that I’m close to my family and I’ve come to realize that I chose a great school with unique opportunities.

5. Campus Tour

Photo Courtesy of Sunyu from Unsplash

Before finalizing your decision, make sure you get a glimpse of the campus first hand. You might have seen the college through photos but going on a college campus tour is crucial. Getting a good vibe from the college itself is super important and you don’t want to choose a school when you’re not feeling it. Trust your intuition.

Choosing a college is difficult and there are many factors one should consider, from the location to the majors offered. Take your time with this process, because choosing the wrong college might lead to you dreading your college life and it might lead to dropping out or transferring. You have to do a lot of research, look at your financial aid package and the housing options. Good luck on choosing the one!

Roya Zaki

Sacramento '22

Hi, My name is Roya Zaki and I'm a writer. I am currently a freshman at Sacramento State majoring in Biology currently pre-med also. I love reading books on wattpad. I'm your typical Pisces I love watching youtube videos and I love listening to music some of my favorite artists are: Ariana Grande, Due Lipa, 5SOS, Justin Bieber, Khalid, Lauv, Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Any member of One Direction.