This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

It’s that time of year again. It’s Ramadan!

You might be asking yourself this question: what is Ramadan?

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. It is considered the holiest month of the year for Muslims. During Ramadan, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset and this symbolizes self-control, gratitude, and compassion for the less fortunate. It’s a month of intense spiritual rejuvenation with a heightened focus on devotion. During this time, Muslims spend extra time reading the Qur’an and performing special prayers.

Suhoor is the meal you eat before your fast starts at pre-dawn. Eating healthy during Suhoor is super important because its the only thing you’ve eaten until Iftar which is the time you break your fast. 

Here are my favorite recipes and go-to meals for Suhoor!
Banana and Almond Butter Toast

This is a more simple breakfast meal. I am not a breakfast person, so I like eating something simple like toast or cereal. A meal to help you stay full throughout the day and until Iftar. It’s hard eating a full breakfast meal when you’re super tired and want to go back to bed, but this meal is a must-try!

Oatmeal, Oatmeal and Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a good and nutritious meal for breakfast. You are going to stay full for the majority of the fast plus oatmeal is rich in fiber and packed with vitamins.

Berry Smoothie Bowl

I love drinking smoothies and this is a delicious and fruity breakfast option. It’s sweet, rich and packed with vitamins. Also, you can alternate the fruits and add whatever you want. You can have a green smoothie bowl or you can go for a sweet taste and add a variety of fruits such as bananas and strawberries. I love adding coconut milk, bananas, strawberries, spinach and topping it off with coconut pieces or granola.

Peanut Butter Balls

This recipe is from Daniella M. Biah’s youtube video. She is a lifestyle YouTuber who is known for her Ramadan series and life hacks. This recipe consists of peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chips and flax seeds. It’s a simple recipe and can be prepared in batches. 

Eggs

Not only are eggs high in protein but they can also help you stay full throughout the day. Eggs can be eaten in a variety of ways. For example, you can eat an egg sandwich, a small egg muffin or scrambled eggs with spinach wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. There are more egg recipes in this Buzzfeed article.

Be sure to check out lifestyle YouTube star Daniella M. Biah’s YouTube channel and become a subscriber. Check out her Ramadan videos that include recipes that are easy and convenient for everyone.

Good luck on fasting this year and make it count. Ramadan Mubarak! 

Roya Zaki

Sacramento '22

Hi, My name is Roya Zaki and I'm a writer. I am currently a freshman at Sacramento State majoring in Biology currently pre-med also. I love reading books on wattpad. I'm your typical Pisces I love watching youtube videos and I love listening to music some of my favorite artists are: Ariana Grande, Due Lipa, 5SOS, Justin Bieber, Khalid, Lauv, Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Any member of One Direction.