Wellness

Balancing Life When You’re A Full-Time Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Life as a full-time student can be difficult. You have so many things on your plate that must be taken care of. Most students also have a job, whether it is part-time or full-time. There’s also social life and making sure you respond back to all the missed calls or texts you received many hours or days ago. Your sleep schedule is also very important to keep track of. For me, I have to get at least 4-5 hours of sleep to stay sane throughout the day. Then there are also extracurricular activities such as club meetings, sports, etc. How could you possibly balance all of that?

Here’s how can you truly stay on top of it all while still being a full-time student:

Tip 1: Have a daily planner. 

Photo by Bich Tran from Pexels

Planners help make keeping track of things much easier. They already come with the dates and are organized in a way that makes it easy to see what needs to get done. You can also try bullet journaling if you want to organize your tasks in your own unique way.

Tip 2: Write everything down. 

Photo by Frans Van Heerden from Pexels

I tend to be very forgetful so writing things down helps a lot. Things like “grocery shopping” or “go to the gym” can be useful reminders especially if you have a busy schedule. I also find that writing things down, whether it be in your planner or on your phone, will make you more likely to commit to completing those tasks. Sticky notes are a great addition as well. It is very helpful to jot something on one and stick it into my planner.

Tip 3: Don’t forget to enjoy life. 

Photo by Wendy Wei from Pexels

Gettings things done feels great but it is also important to give yourself some free time as well. Use that time to relax and just spend time doing stuff you love doing. As students, we’re sometimes so busy that we forget to just have fun. Go to a concert, have a shopping spree or whatever it is you want to do. Give yourself some love because you deserve it.

Staying on top of it all may not always go your way. Life may have its ups and downs but remember that it will all be worthwhile. My motto right now is to work hard now, play later! It will all be worth it in the end so keep doing what you’re doing Hornets!

Samirah Yang

Sacramento '22

Samirah is currently a second year at Sacramento State and majors in Psychology. Some of her interests include writing, photography, videography, and eating.