4 Tips For Shopping Party Supplies From The Dollar Store

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Alright, it’s confession time, my favorite store is the Dollar Tree! For many reasons, it is within a mile of campus, everything’s a dollar and I can find items from office supplies, kitchen items or even party supplies. It’s already hard being a broke college student and living on your own definitely has some challenges. That’s why I shop at my go to Dollar Tree to get everything I need. For example, last Valentine’s Day I held a Galentine’s party for my favorite ladies. I know I could’ve just grabbed pizza and binge watched Grey’s Anatomy with everyone. Where’s the fun in that? So, I decided to invite all of my girlfriends to my dorm room for a Galentine’s Day party! For my shameless love for dollar store hacks, I put together an amazing party on a great budget and I’ll share my tips for some great finds under $20.

1. Pick Out A Party Theme

Photo courtesy of Ana Paula Lima

First, you must think about the theme of your party, which includes the decor. The dollar store is a great place to find festive decorations at a cheaper cost compared to Party City or any other arts and crafts store. At the dollar store, you can find several packs of balloons, which range from all different colors. These are fun decorations to hang on the wall or take pictures with. By having your theme picked out, it will help you get a better idea of what to look for when shopping. If you plan to serve food at your party, you can also add centerpieces to display your desserts in an Instagram-worthy setting. For example, I purchased a few mason jars and filled them Valentine’s Day edition Hershey’s Kisses. It was super cute and easy to do!

2. Add Those Personal Touches

Photo courtesy of Mira Bozhko

Another fun idea, is to grab a few friends to join you! It really helped me when my bestie came with me because we were able to bounce of ideas and shop around for materials. I love to add personal touches to my party because it adds something extra and makes my guests feel at home. If you have time to personalize your decor, look for name tags, gift bags or anything to make your guests feel welcomed. When I was decorating for my Galentine’s Day party, I labeled each gift bag with my girlfriends’ names, made my own paper heart cutouts and glued sequins on each letter. It was a huge hit! It was so heartfelt and easy to do. If you aren’t artsy, you can always find clear vases and flowers then write a handwritten letter for your guests. Trust me, they will still be impressed.

3. Get Crafty with Party Snacks

Photo courtesy of Min An

Ok, you have your theme set? Check. Personalized gift ideas? Check. What’s next? You guessed it, snacks! When people come to a party or any type event, they are looking forward to the delicious food or tasty treats. Because you are the hostess, you have to decide if you are going to make your own finger-food snacks, potluck or go to your nearest grocery store for those party trays. When I went to the dollar store, I purchased those really cute V-Day cards and attached a candybar to each card. In the V-Day cards, I wrote an inspirational quote then placed each card on a party tray so it still look cute. after I wrote an inspirational quote on and affirmations on them will definitely make cute snacks. It’s a really simple gesture to mix snacks with fun, cute messages and it becomes a win-win for your guests! Remember, presentation is always key. Of course, don’t forget about the accessories like plates, napkins, tablecloths, plastic silverware and any other kitchen needs, which can also be found at the dollar store. You can thank me later.

4. Take Lots & Lots of Pictures

Photo courtesy of Leticia Sanchez

The most important tip to remember is pictures! You and your guests are obviously going to want to remember this awesome party. When shopping at the dollar store, look for fun, creative items that stand out to you for pictures. It can get really fun by adding props, killer backdrops, DIY picture frames or getting crafty and making your own ideas come to life. It’s perfect to have a craft station at your party to keep guests entertained and laugh at their creative side. The cool thing too is this can be done with any theme. So, don’t be afraid to step out of the box and have some fun with it! At my party, all my girlfriends wanted to take lots of pictures with crazy hats and fake mustaches for their Instagram. Grab your smartphone camera, all of your favorite girls and make it a night to remember!

Of course, everyone has their own creative style so don’t worry about it looking perfect, but do remember to have fun with the planning process. Plus, nobody wants to arrive at a party if it looks disorganized and feels incomplete, right? To your guests, it might feel like a waste of time if that were the case. With my help, it won’t be. Because it is your party, feel free to get as creative as you like and put your own spin on it! Also, don’t forget to create a Spotify party playlist so you and your friends can dance the night away.