Style > Beauty

Why your Kitchen is the Best Place to Find Hair Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Everyone loves a good hair salon day where they can get pampered with amazing products. But the reality is, we don’t always have the time and money to go. Not to worry – I have the ultimate solution: your kitchen.

You probably never would have thought your kitchen could be the ultimate parlour for your hair.

Long, luscious locks are not always easy to maintain. The endless hair products on shelves can be confusing to sort through and can get very pricey. 

However, just steps away from the comfort of your room are some generic food products that can help maintain healthy and strong roots to give your hair an amazing look and feel. 

The kitchen has an endless variety of products. Foods that are high in protein, oils and vitamins are ideal when it comes to strengthening and beautifying hair. 

The biggest tip to having healthy locks is using protein. By ensuring there is enough protein going into your roots, your hair will thicken and look a lot healthier and voluminous.

Here are the best products to try:

• Avocados: Mash up an avocado and apply it throughout your hair. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it out. This will give your hair an eye-catching shine and will keep it looking healthier. 
  • Eggs: Eggs are an amazing way to replenish hair follicles. Simply whisk one-to-three eggs (use more depending on the length of your hair) and apply it all over. Cover your hair with a shower cap or hair wrap for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it out with cold-lukewarm water. This will strengthen your hair, enhance hair growth by preserving its natural oils and moisture, and reduce irritation caused by a dry scalp and dandruff.

Products to alleviate a dry scalp and give it that good shine include:

• Yogurt: Flavourless yogurt has many active bacterial cultures and enzymes that can treat a dry scalp and lock-in moisture. For better use of this, add in one tablespoon of vinegar or olive oil for dull-looking hair. Use this in the shower as a shampoo and rinse after 10 minutes. The results should appear almost immediately. 
  • Honey: A great alternative for conditioner. Add two-to-three tablespoons of honey with a quarter-cup of coconut oil. Mix both products together and let it sit on the scalp and roots for 15-20 minutes. This will lock-in moisture, add replenishing oils and increase shine. 

If you are not one to apply products to your hair, there are many other ways the kitchen can still be your hair hero! Eating and adding certain foods to your diet can help with hair growth, strength and shine. Some of these include: 

• Avocados
  • Nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts)
  • Berries
  • Fatty fish 
  • Sweet potatoes 

Using these tips will not only make your hair grow faster but will also ensure hair is healthy, voluminous and shiny.

Prisha Dev

Toronto MU '25

Prisha is a journalism student who loves writing, travelling, sports, fashion and of course coffee!! She has written for numerous publications varying on many topics. Check out her Instagram for more content @prishadev