This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Growing up, I was always told that the secret to having “good skin” is to get rid of all the oily spots on my face. It did not help that I had pimples emerging almost every day. To my knowledge, the acne always felt like the very unfortunate result of having oily skin. I spent every morning and night stripping my skin of any traces of oil with exfoliants, masks and cleansing pads. 

Moving to Canada, I started to combat my new enemy: The harsh winter season. Come every December, my face started tightening and peeling. You could visibly see flakes of skin in my T-zone, an area that is supposed to be most oily for many people. No amount of moisturizer helped me. That was until last year when I discovered slugging. 

There is a new skincare trend going viral every few months. Products such as the peeling solution from The Ordinary and DIY pimple patches, have worked for certain people. Keep in mind that everyone has different types of skin and therefore, the problems they face and the treatment plans that work all vary drastically. Slugging is no different. 

What is slugging?

Slugging got its name from the wonderful world of Korean skincare. Basically, it is an intense form of moisturizing where you apply petroleum jelly after you finish your skincare routine to lock in the moisture. I like to use a giant tub of Vaseline. It is affordable and accessible. The key skincare advice anyone would give you during winter is to moisturize. However, if you are like me (whose moisture barrier has been completely destroyed), it can be hard to keep your skin moist for long periods of time, especially when you go to bed at night. Slugging helps to hydrate your skin and seal that moisture (along with your other skincare products) overnight. It leaves your skin feeling slimy and thick, just like a slug! 

Benefits of slugging:

The main benefit of slugging is hydration. That is why most people do it in the first place. According to The American Academy of Dermatology Association, applying petroleum jelly on dry skin (including your lips and eyelids) is great for moisture and protection. It is more effective and less irritating than lotions. I have also seen how bright and dewey my skin looks after a slugging session, which is quite rare for me during the winter months. 

When I started my slugging journey, I was curious about the effects of slugging on my acne. It is important to note that for some people, applying petroleum jelly can cause breakouts. This is why I stress the importance of doing a patch test before slathering your entire face with Vaseline. Also, remember to wash it off in the morning with a gentle cleanser.

Steps to slugging:

Slugging is best done before you wind down for the night. It is up to you to decide how frequently you should do it. Personally, I see great results from slugging twice a week. Always listen to your skin!

1. Do your regular skincare routine. Cleanse, apply serum, moisturize. However, refrain from using spot treatments, for obvious reasons. 
  2. Start slugging by applying an even layer of petroleum jelly all over your face. I normally use a pea-sized amount just in case it might cause a breakout. You should look like a gorgeous glazed donut when you’re done slugging. 
  3. Rinse your face when you wake up, using a gentle cleanser to remove any excess product. 
Youdon Tenzin

Toronto MU '24

Youdon Tenzin is a journalism student based in Toronto. She writes about fashion, beauty and entertainment. Her hobbies include listening to true crime podcasts and watching social commentary videos on YouTube.