This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I think it’s safe to say everyone misses live music, from the atmosphere, the setlist, the cheering fans, the vibes, and of course, the concert merch. Certainly, we can buy merch online, but it’s just not the same.

There’s nothing that compares to the excitement and anticipation of waiting in line to buy merch. The hurriedness of vendors trying to figure out what shirt design and size you want. The spur-of-the-moment decision you make while settling between a hoodie and a tour shirt (when you could really splurge for both). The satisfaction you feel when buying that one-of-a-kind tour poster or hat you had your eyes on.

I, like many others, miss concert merch. But why do we really buy it?

We want to have a souvenir 

I think what many people reminisced about during the pandemic were the memories they made before it. Concert merch can bring back nostalgia from the best nights of our lives. Nights that were spent with friends, meeting new people, living in the moment and realizing that the artist you’ve been obsessing over is right in front of you. Merch is one of the souvenirs you get to take home at the end of the night, next to the hundreds of photos and videos you took at the concert.

It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity

As a fan of many musicians and someone who has lived in a somewhat-major city, it was always a bummer when musicians wouldn’t tour my area. However, now that I moved to Toronto, concerts are popping up everywhere. So, if you’re anything like me and find yourself at a concert in front of the merch table, you must buy something. It’s the golden rule (or at least it should be).

It connects us to the artist (and other fans)

There’s something special and exciting about buying a piece of merch and wearing it the next day. It makes us feel proud to be fans of that musician or band. And who knows? You might meet other fans and make new friends by wearing your merch in public!

We LOVE the design

Whether it goes with your ‘aesthetic’ or it just looks cute, there’s always a design that catches your eye that you can envision yourself wearing, whether it is a t-shirt, hoodie, tank top, poster, hat, etc. I personally love concert tees with tour dates and cities on the back!

It’s limited edition

Most concert merch is limited edition, meaning you won’t be able to find it online. So, make your decision wisely!

Even though there are many personal reasons for buying merch, It all comes down to how it makes us feel. And for many of us, it makes us reminiscent of some of the most exhilarating times of our lives.

Sabrina Wong

Toronto MU '22

Sabrina is a fourth year student in the Media Production program. She has a passion for film, TV, Broadway, pop culture and everything in between! She currently co-hosts a podcast called “Ghosted”, where she and her co-host talk about Canadian ghost hauntings in their hometowns. When she’s not writing, she’s probably listening to Taylor Swift on repeat.