nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Self-Love is at the Top of My New Year’s Resolution List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Alexia Del Priore

Ah, self-love. A topic that is (thankfully) beginning to be talked about quite frequently amongst our millennial generation.

However, this can be tricky when trying to navigate a definition for self-love or what you should be doing to show yourself love everyday, but the truth is there really is no set definition.

Self-love and I have had a complicated relationship over the years. It has never been something I have felt I needed to put into “practice”. I was used to the negative thoughts that taunted me everyday, so I really didn’t even know what the concept of self-love was.

Over the past few years struggling with my own mental health issues, it has really only been during this past year that has made me realize how truly important the concept of self-love is.

In the midst of the New Year with goals we all set for ourselves, there is no doubt that self-love is an intention you need to promise to follow through with for yourself.

Anything that makes you feel good, that gets rid of self criticism and is replaced with praise, that keeps your energy at a high frequency: that is self-love.

It doesn’t have to have a complicated definition, it is whatever you make it to be.

I know for myself, there are many ways I have incorporated practicing self love into my everyday routine.

Firstly, I make sure I repeat a mantra to myself in the morning when I wake up and before I go to sleep. A mantra can be described as “a word or phrase that is repeated often or that expresses someone’s basic beliefs.”

This can be anything you want, but as an example, a mantra I try repeating to myself daily when I wake up is: “I am worthy, I am beautiful, I am enough.” I know it may seem silly, but saying this to yourself in the mirror in the morning can really set a positive tone for you to conquer the rest of your day!

I also try to journal and practice mindfulness once a day, as this makes me feel at peace especially if a bout of anxiety comes on. Also, practice saying no! No, you don’t need to attend everything or please everyone- being able to say no is also a form of self love.

After reading this far, you can see that self-love is evident through many things that we do for ourselves. Remaining consistent with these acts on a daily basis is what will make the world of a difference in our lives.

You are the only person that can make you happy. At the end of the day, we really only have ourselves. So why not show ourselves as much love as we possibly can while we’re here?

Instead of always stressing over having someone else to love and hold, why not make 2018 the year of showering yourself with all the love your heart can give you, girl.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH