Where to Shop Local on Indie Bookstore Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

April 30 was Canadian Independent Bookstore Day (CIBD), an annual day for readers, writers and publishers alike to come together and celebrate indie bookstores across the country. With Amazon just a click away and a looming pandemic, many indie bookstores have struggled to survive. This day is focused on supporting independent businesses and advocating for booksellers who are integral to local communities and Canadian culture. 

Here are five of Toronto’s magical indie bookstores if you’re looking to show them some love, not just on CIBD but all year long. 

Type Books  

When it was founded in 2006 by Joanna Saul and Samara Walbohm, Type Books had the goal of becoming a community space to celebrate a love of books. 

Across its three Toronto locations, readers are sure to find something amongst the curated collection of well-loved books from fiction and small-press to young adult and art. 

Addresses: 883 Queen St. W

2887 Dundas St. W

427 Spadina Rd. 

Squibb’s Stationers 

The oldest bookstore in Toronto, Squibb’s was founded in 1927 and continues to be vital to the Weston community. Now run by Suri Weinberg-Linsky (whose family bought the store in 1980) and her husband Mike Linksy, the store continues to sell a wide range of books, stationery, gifts and more. 

Tucked away from the business of Weston Road, Squibb’s offers a wide selection of books from local Weston authors to bestsellers and is regularly involved in the community. 

Address: 1974 Weston Rd. 

Book City 

Book City is one of Toronto’s leading bookstores with four locations across the city, from Bloor West Village to the Beaches. Book City is a family-run business founded in 1976 in the Annex. 

Book City is known for its wide range of backlist and bestselling titles. Their bursting bargain tables and staff who are also book-lovers are bound to make every visit worthwhile.

Addresses: 2354 Bloor St. W

1430 Yonge St. 

348 Danforth Ave. 

1950 Queen St. E

A Novel Spot Bookshop 

This bookshop may only be 634 square feet, but it has a little bit of everything. Tucked into Humbertown Shopping Centre in Etobicoke, A Novel Spot was founded in 2012 and has been a touchstone in Etobicoke ever since. 

With staff who are also voracious readers and are always delighted to recommend a book, every reader is sure to find their next great read. Check out their 10-second reviews for more great picks. 

Address: 270 The Kingsway, Humbertown Shopping Centre 

Another Story Bookshop 

Located in Roncesvalles, Another Story Bookshop has been devoted to social justice and diversity since opening in 1987. Originally founded by the late activist Sheila Koffman, the store carries on her legacy and commitment to spotlighting different perspectives and ideas.

With their motto “Organize, Educate, Resist!” this store is always stocked with books from various voices, especially those featuring Canadian and Indigenous authors. 

Address: 315 Roncesvalles Ave. 

Shopping at an indie bookstore might require more effort than shopping on Amazon from the comfort of your own home, but it also helps support local businesses that contribute to Canadian culture and create community centres for like-minded people. Whether you’re looking to support a new indie bookstore or want to show your support on Indie Bookstore Day, these five shops are great places to start and they are vital to Toronto’s indie bookstore scene.

Julia Tramontin

Toronto MU '24

Julia is a storyteller and bookworm based in Toronto, Canada and is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. Julia believes storytelling has the power to create change and is particularly interested in stories about feminism, mental wellness, and literature. When she's not hanging out with her two dogs, she can be found with her nose in a book.