Style > Fashion

What to You Need To Know For the Next Time You Go Thrifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Thrifting can be overwhelming at times. There are a lot of clothes to rummage through and it can get crowded, depending on the time you go.

As someone who goes thrifting whenever possible, I’ve learned a few things along the way that have helped me make my time shopping enjoyable and stress-free.

Bring a friend

One of the easiest ways to make yourself comfortable shopping is to go with someone you know. We’re automatically satisfied when we can share the discomfort with someone else. Plus, doing anything with your friends makes it more fun. 

Use your hands

Deciding on whether you’ve found a piece worth buying can be tricky. But luckily, you have one tool that will add some insight into this: Your hands. The feel of fabric can tell you a lot about the quality and durability of an item. If it feels like promising material, it’s a no-brainer, but if it’s questionable, it’s a sign that you may want to put it back where it came from. 

Open mind

Never expect to find something. If you have high expectations, you’re likely to be let down and leave the store with nothing. With an open mind, you may find an item you never would’ve expected to like.

Go to popular locations

Sometimes, there are more popular locations than others, and there’s a reason why. It can be hit or miss when you go to thrift stores, but you’re likely to have more success when you venture into areas that are more expensive or well-known. 

Check every hanger

Don’t be lazy; rummage through each hanger. There are so many items in a thrift store that it might seem crazy to go through them all. But from experience, there are always good items hidden between clothing racks or stuck between other things that people may pass by. Be patient and use those fingers to help you look!

Save up

Thrift stores can be cheap or expensive, depending on where you go. The safest thing to do is to save up for a thrifting shopping spree so you don’t have to worry about having enough for the millions of items you want to buy.

A sewing machine is your best friend

Sometimes, you may find the perfect item but it doesn’t fit how you want it to. That’s okay, it’s workable. If you don’t know how to sew, YouTube a sewing tutorial for your item. This will widen the variety of things you will want to purchase.

Gabriela Aguilera

Toronto MU '22

Gabriela is a fourth-year Journalism student at Ryerson University hoping to explore her love of fashion and beauty through her writing. When she isn't writing, she's either reading a new book she'll be obsessed with until it's finished, finding new music to listen to, or re-watching her favourite shows.