This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As social animals, we have the innate desire for human connection. Since the beginning of the pandemic, social interactions like exchanging greetings with your bus driver or conversing with friends over dinner have been forbidden in favour of maintaining the health and safety of our communities. In result, this has led some of us, especially me, feeling lonely and isolated. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways that we can stay in touch with our friends and loved ones!

In the digital age we are living in, we have so many tools at the touch of our hands to help us feel connected to other humans! While calling each other is a great way to hear the voice of a friend that you miss, why not add a visual element with Zoom, Skype, or Facetime? My favourite way to use any of these apps is to have my friends on the phone while we study together or run any essential errands so we can keep each other company.

Get tired of talking to each other? Why not watch a movie? With great apps like Teleparty (formerly known as Netflix party) and Scener, you can stream your favourite movies and chat as a group!

Okay, maybe movies are not your thing and that is perfectly understandable! There are an endless number of games available to play online with you and your friends! I would recommend online multiplayer games like Among Us, Jackbox.tv and Uno

Lastly, a recent favourite of mine has been snail mail. As I have previously written about my love for letter writing, I have been writing heartwarming letters and sending them off to friends for fun! In an era where everything is ‘touch and go’, writing and sending letters allows us to slow down and create something with true intention.

This pandemic has led many of us to try and find new ways to stay connected with friends and family. I found that texting as I normally would did not cut it anymore and sought new and fun ways to spend quality time with friends in a time where I couldn’t see them in person. By reaching out to friends, even just to watch a romcom on Netflix together, I am reminded that I am not alone and that my friends are a text or call away.

If you are looking for emotional support during this pandemic, Crisis Text Line and Youthline provide virtual mental health support during the pandemic.

Selina Lafarciola

Toronto MU '21

Selina (she/her/hers) is a fourth-year student at Ryerson University, where she is currently earning her B.A. Honours in English. Her pastimes include writing, finding new music, ethical fashion, and skincare. She is excited to begin her journey as a published writer at Her Campus!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.