Wellness

Ways to Connect to Your Spiritual Roots Post Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Halloween’s corporatization led us to a celebration at the end of October, where we dress up in costumes and trick-or-treat. While the change is not necessarily problematic, it removes most spiritual aspects, which can be quite transformative and comforting when done with intention. 

There are many discrepancies in the history of Halloween, and some versions are very different from others. The general consensus is that it originated from Samhain, a three-day ancient Celtic Pagan festival, the new year, Nov. 1, standing for the beginning of the season of both death and rebirth and summer ending. Rituals revolved around thanking the Earth, ancestors, letting go and starting anew. Many of us with Celtic ancestry really don’t know much about our ancestors or history. Some of us may feel connected to the Earth and the other side but might not know what to do. Or possibly, you want to become more spiritual but are not exactly ready to conduct full-on séances. One of the most simple things you can do is go back to Samhain’s routes and celebrate the Harvest Festival. 

Harvest Festival

While there is no right way to practice spirituality, one way that Pagans stay connected to their roots is through celebrating what used to be the last day of the harvest. This is a celebration with friends and family. Not every Pagan celebrates this way. Through time, many different families developed their own traditions. There is no specific rulebook for how to celebrate Halloween in a  “correctly Pagan” way, especially because Pagan values have been changed, rewritten and transformed. While it’s complicated, a very simple explanation is that since the late 20th century, Celtic Neopagans and Wiccans consider Samhain as a religious holiday. Some Wiccans are Pagan but some are not. Some Wiccans practice witchcraft and bring those into their celebrations and some don’t. These are just some suggestions that may bring you comfort and are based on various old traditions. 

The Altar

It begins with decorating an altar with family photos and heirlooms. As you decorate, it’s essential to think about your ancestors, who are possibly passing over. Once the altar is done, meditation may be performed, aiming to connect you to your  ancestors.  As the spirit wall is thought to be at its thinnest, this is a way that many feel closer to their relatives who passed. 

Samhain Feast

It’s common to serve dinner with things grown from the ground, such as pumpkins, squash and root vegetables, to mark the end of the growing season. There’s often a slice of wild meat, a loaf of dark bread and mulled wine. It’s also customary to recite a ritual before beginning the meal to thank the Earth. Many people who consider themselves kitchen witches use specific recipes for these feasts with the intentions they want to bring into the next season. Some who consider themselves spiritual consider witchcraft a hoax. Once again, it’s up to what makes you feel connected. 

Reflection

After dinner, you may take the wine outside, share what you’re saying goodbye to and then toast. Spirituality isn’t always magic spells and cauldrons. It involves a lot of self-contemplation. In the case of Samhain, it’s about reflecting on what brings you harm. It can be anything from the relationship that mainly brings you pain to quitting smoking. Since the Earth is essentially dying, it’s optimal to say goodbye to old habits and toxicities in your life. After that, you can then plant the leftovers in the garden.

Bonfire

The Celts believed that since the wall was at its thinnest, spirits may get through and not all of them with good intentions. They lit bonfires to keep evil spirits away and dressed in disguises, though some would argue that they lit the fires for inviting spirits. Fire can also be used in many rituals as a way to break free from the past and start anew, much like in the spirit of Samhain. 

There are many different rules and rituals that you can incorporate. Some believe you are not allowed to talk during dinner as it must be a silent occasion. Some may tell you that you can only use black candles. Or, they may cite specific rules for your altar. 

Ultimately, spirituality is a very individual practice and relies on what brings you comfort (as long as you’re not harming anyone else). If celebrating Earth for all it’s provided, and thinking about your ancestors brings you value, maybe it’s time to incorporate some more spiritual elements into your Halloween. 

Kelsea MacKay

Toronto MU '22

Lover of books, coffee and rainy days.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.