Her Campus CFW 2014 61jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus CFW 2014 61jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Versace’s First Plus-Sized Models Hit The Runway At The SS21 Milan Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Donatella Versace made history on Friday, casting three plus-sized models for the first time to walk in the Versace Spring/Summer 2021 Runway show at Milan fashion week. 

Models Jill Kortleve, Alva Claire, and Precious Lee took to the stage, taking strides to change the fashion industry with each step. 

From racial to size inclusivity, it’s no secret that the fashion industry has struggled with a lack of diversity over the years. 

With social media influencers and plus-sized models teaching the world to love their bodies, the fashion industry is slowly but surely getting on board with these ideas. 

The models took to Instagram after the show, each of them expressing their disbelief, excitement and gratitude in being part of this iconic moment.

Kortleve wrote, “It’s so unbelievable to work for brands I always dreamt of working for. I hope that we open the doors for a new generation with the same dreams but who never saw themselves in the magazines or the commercials.”

Versace didn’t always embrace plus-size models. Supposedly in 2011, Donatella cancelled a Versace for H&M shoot when she learned that her designs would be modelled by ‘real women,’ as it didn’t fit Versace’s ‘brand.’ 

As people are becoming more open minded and understanding of the toxicity behind the ‘one-size fits all’ mentality, brands are taking notice and beginning to make changes in moving with this new age of beauty. 

In an interview with Vogue, Donatella said, “I wanted to do something disruptive and to break the rules because I think that, what worked a few months ago does not make any sense today.” 

With large brands like Versace finally incorporating size inclusivity on the runway, it opens the question of whether or not more brands will begin to follow suit and if this will create a lasting change. 

Madison is a journalism student at Ryerson University in Toronto. She’s lived in Toronto her whole life, but hopes to travel and see the world after she graduates. Writing has always been her passion, and getting to earn a degree doing what she loves is a dream come true.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.