This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With less than a month until Christmas, it’s fair to say we’ve entered the season of holiday festivities. And yes of course, that includes the ugly Christmas sweater party. It happens every year but that doesn’t mean you have to wear the same (passed down from Grandma) ugly sweater. 

So Instead, make a statement and arrive to the party with an ugly sweater that’s more cool than ugly.

Last year we had the “Dabbing Santa” sweater by 2 Chainz.

This year, were falling suit.

2 Chainz is back with another Christmas sweater, this time, depicting the dance inspired by Zay Hilfiger and Zayion McCall’s “JuJu On The Beat”, and “Hit Dem Folks” popularized by SheLovesMeechie and TheRealYvngQuan.

Not only that, but Nas has come out with a sweater of his own. Introducing the Kneeling Santa Christmas Sweater by HSTRY CLOTHING! An apparel brand from the mind of legendary hip-hop artist and rapper, Nasir Jones. 

The sweater features Father Christmas taking a knee, a nod to the ongoing protest of San Franciso 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernic (his refusal to stand for the playing of the national anthem becuase of what he deems are wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the United States). However that’s not the only statement this crew neck packs. On top of Kapernic’s message, the Christmas sweater collection also raises money for justice reform. 

Nas posted this picture on his Instagram last week, explaining in the caption that a portion of proceeds will be going to the Centre for Court Innovation, a non-profit for Criminal Justice Reform. The Centre’s projects include community-based violence prevention projects, alternatives to incarceration, reentry initiatives, court-based programs that seek to promote positive individual and family change, and many others. According to it’s web site, the organization “seeks to help create a more effective and humane justice system by designing and implementing operating programs, performing original research, and providing reformers around the world with the tools they need to launch new strategies.” A video on the site further explains the Centre’s story and objective. 

You can buy your own Kneeling Santa Sweater in either black, red or green for $45 at hstryclothing.com or your own JUJU ugly Santa sweater from 2 Chainz for $50 at 2chainzshop.com. Which one is your favourite? Tweet us your holiday sweater pics at @HCRyerson!

Ryerson Journalism Student and Blogger living in Toronto. earthtoemma.weebly.com
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.