The Top 5 Toronto Cafés to Visit This November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.
  1. SNAKES AND LATTES 

Opened in 2010, Snakes and Lattes is the place to be especially if you’re a lover of board games.  This Toronto based Café located on Bloor St. West is open every day from 11 to 12 am, but it’s on Fridays and Saturdays when this place turns into a full on party and closes at 2 am. Stocked up with hundreds (if not maybe thousands) of different board games to play, with your gang of friends or with the new gang of people you’re sure to meet while you sip on a sweet vanilla latte over an intense game of scrabble.  WARNING: it gets busy, so call ahead of time to check up on the waiting time – you can make a reservation as well or like most people, you can just show up and wait because the Snakes and Lattes atmosphere alone is worth the wait.

1. TEQUILA BOOKWORM

Located on Queen St. West, this café and bar has a total grungy feel that will satisfy your reading pleasures.  A very comfortable space as the employees here, (in my opinion) are the loveliest of lovely baristas out of the many coffee shops in Toronto. Tequila Bookworm is a fair walking distance from Ryerson University, if you don’t mind the November breeze. But there’s plenty of space and quite booths to get you’re readings done compared to the other cafés on campus. Although the coffee here might not be as wonderful as Starbucks, you could always switch to beer at Tequilas.

1. BELLJAR CAFÉ

This café is more so like your average neighbourhood coffee shop, rather than city. Placed right in Roncesvalles Village just west of Dundas, Belljar provides their customers with a nice variety of espresso based coffees that will certainly spice up you’re November morning walk up northbound onto campus.  Known for its scenery, as a student I find peace at most while studying, when I can easily look up from my textbook (draped in my tears) and not watch the usual bustling city streets but a, calm and welcoming neighbourhood –  knowingly still being close to civilization. Belljar Café not only caters food, beverages and comfort but they additionally host a variety of events such as: poetry readings, fundraisers, pop-up shops, and film screenings.

1. DARK HORSE ESPRESSO BAR

Found in Spadina, this small Toronto branch is known not just for their hot beverages, but their aesthetic; featuring two gigantic tables where any student, determined to get their shit done- will get it done. Especially in the month of November that is completely filled with essay proposals, and final papers;  pound out your laptops and textbooks, novels and bundles of loose essay papers all while chugging down your third Dark Horse espresso and as I repeat myself once again – get you’re shit done.

1. BALZAC’S COFFEE ROASTERS

The coffee shop of Ryerson University, Balzac’s is a classic to us students. Helpful during the sporadic weather changes currently happening this month, the appealing variety of beverages and snacks Balzac’s caters is not only perfect for studying or hanging out but perfect, for a cute on campus date. Their charming cabin interior; consisting of wood and brick walls which are slightly covered in vintage-looking posters, it’s easy for one to imagine themselves on a quirky first date drinking coffee and adorably complaining over school work , all while feeling like you’re somewhere more glamorous rather than on campus during this cold November month.   

Chelsea is kind of lame but Follow her on Instagram @chelsnguyen_ to see how lame she truly is. 
Ben Samuels

Toronto MU '16

Benjamin is a reluctant third-year English major at Ryerson University and the newly minted Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Ryerson.You can reach Benjamin on twitter and instagram @iamsashagay, and by email at benjaminkent@hercampus.com