This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Winter break is one of the best times to catch up on all the shows you didn’t have time for during the year. Well, I’m a serial procrastinator and show-lover, so I watched all of them for you during the semester. So now, you can enjoy all of them stress-free over the holidays. 

The Queen’s Gambit

Starting off with the No.1 on our list–The Queen’s Gambit. You’ve either watched it already or have heard about it and seen all of its accompanying memes. If you were anything like me and are hesitant to start it ‘cause “Oh, looks kinda boring” or “I know literally nothing about chess— I won’t get it”, THIS IS YOUR SIGN— go watch this show. Not only is Anya Taylor-Joy a gem, but her performance for The Queen’s Gambit was *chef’s kiss*. There is no other way to describe it. My friend convinced me to try out the first episode, and I was instantly hooked. It has gotten me through the last few weeks of this semester. Mind you, I have procrastinated four assignments because of it, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. 

The Promised Neverland

To add a little spice to our countdown list, The Promised Neverland is an anime series. I actually watched this show prior to it being added onto Netflix, so when it did get on there, I was so excited ‘cause now everyone will know my pain. If I had to categorize The Promised Neverland, I’d deem it a dark drama/thriller. The plot alone is just impeccable, and I know next to nothing when it comes to anime, but THIS, THIS show was (I’m gonna use it again) *chef’s kiss*. So please give this series a chance if you haven’t already. You’ll fall in love with it and you can then wait for the painstakingly long arrival of the second season with me. 

Grand Army

The Walmart version of Euphoria—if you’re a fan of Grand Army, I apologize, but I said what I said. Nevertheless, it’s still an excellent show on its own. This series is set in New York and follows the students of Grand Army High. Yes, yes, I know—ANOTHER high school drama—but I can’t help it, they’re so addictive. GA does touch on a lot of relevant and relatable topics though, and even features trigger warnings before some of the really heavy episodes—which I love. It’s one of those shows where you get really invested in the characters, so be ready for that rollercoaster. If you want to feel something again, watch Grand Army—and let me know if you also hate Leila Zimmer.

If Anything Happens I Love You

OOPS, it’s not a series, so technically, it’s not a binge—we’re already breaking the rules of this article already—but if you’re on Tik Tok, you might have heard of this cute little animated 12-minute short already. There was this challenge going around of filming yourself before and after watching If Anything Happens I Love You. Apparently, it’s incredibly sad and moving. When I see that on my “For You” page a dozen times, obviously, I’m gonna freaking watch it. I won’t give anything away on what it’s about, but I’m just gonna say I was two minutes in and waterfalls…nothing had even happened yet, but just the sad vibes of the cartoon got me going. Watch at your own risk. 

Honorable mention** 

Before we get to our last series on this list, a little shout-out to a series that isn’t on Netflix but definitely worth your time. The Boys is one of the most well-done satirical superhero shows I’ve ever watched. F*ck Marvel movies, this is it. Essentially, it breaks down what the world would be like if people with superpowers were just another regular thing. It’s an incredibly funny drama that’ll have you up until 6 a.m. The Boys can be found on Amazon Prime Video. 

The Haunting of Bly Manor 

Coming in hot at No. 5 on the list is The Haunting of Bly Manor. If I’m gonna be honest, I finished watching this the first week it came out in October. If you’re familiar with The Haunting of Hill House, well, this is the second installment in their anthology series. I initially started watching it because spooky season had just started and I was in the “scare me ‘till I shit my pants” mood—which is exactly what The Haunting of Hill House (the first series) delivered. Boy, was I wrong. The Haunting of Bly Manor had me intrigued but mostly just confused, up until the last episode of the season. It felt like an acid trip. The final episode is really the last piece of the puzzle that tied the whole show together and made sense of all the weirdness going on. Bly Manor was a love story under the guise of a horror drama. It really was beautiful to see the whole thing unravel, and if you’re into genre-bending stuff, definitely check this one out. 

And that’s all the shows I have for you today. By the way, there are other ways to watch shows, you don’t necessarily have to pay for all these subscriptions to watch them…if you get what I’m saying. So, if any of these shows have sparked your interest, and you don’t have Netflix, there are other means. Good luck, happy break and Happy Holidays! 

Katherine G

Toronto MU '23

Hi there! I will be one of the Her Campus Ryerson writers on the team this year. (:
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.