Top 5 Disney Channel Movies to Watch on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I am the biggest scaredy cat on the planet. For many years, this prevented me from feeling like I could fully participate in spooky season festivities. If you’re like me and want to get into the Halloween spirit, here are my top five non-scary Disney Channel movies that I recommend watching.

Girl vs Monster

Disney Channel legends Olivia Holt and Luke Benward star in this teen movie. Holt plays Skylar, the daughter of monster hunters, who accidentally unleashes a monster on Halloween night. This is one of my all-time favourite DCOMs. It’s hilarious but scary, and it has me listening to the soundtrack all-year-long!

Halloweentown

Possibly one of the most iconic Disney films of all time, Halloweentown is a must-watch every October. This year, I binged all four movies in the series within two days, and the original is still my favourite. The movies follow Marnie – a young girl who realizes she comes from a family of witches. After two decades, I’m still amazed by the costumes and set design in Halloweentown. This classic is the perfect film to remind you that being normal is vastly overrated.

Hocus Pocus

Although strange, this cult classic is so iconic! The Sanderson Sisters are equal parts creepy and funny, and every time I hear “I Put A Spell on You,” it gets stuck in my head for days. This year, take a magical trip to Salem and watch the original just in time for the remake, which is coming soon!

Halloweentown High

This is the third installment of the Halloweentown movies and is one of my favourites because it brings in so many new and interesting characters! In this movie, Marnie creates an exchange program for some of the monsters from Halloweentown to attend high school in the human world. This film is full of funny exchanges and describes the quintessential high school experience of feeling like the odd one out… or should I say, the odd witch out!

Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge 

The sequel to Halloweentown is one of my favourites. This one involves time travel and many more exciting antics from Marnie and the gang. Definitely an exciting watch – especially for a movie marathon on Halloween!

Sahara Mehdi

Toronto MU '23

Sahara Mehdi is a 19-year-old journalism student in her third year at Ryerson University. She fell in love with poetry five years ago and hasn’t stopped writing since. Sahara has been creating videos and other content under the alias “Miss Brainy” on YouTube since she was 15 years old. For more of her writing, you can find her @missbrainywrites on Instagram or @missbrainyblog.