fullsizeoutput 1b80jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
fullsizeoutput 1b80jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Nelissen
Style > Beauty

TikTok Made Me Do it: The Ordinary Skincare Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The Ordinary is a skincare brand I never thought I’d try, but hey – TikTok made me do it. I’m not going to lie, when COVID-19 hit and everyone was downloading TikTok I didn’t want to join in but now I don’t regret it. TikTok changed my skincare game. 

I used to find The Ordinary products too confusing to buy. It’s harder to choose a product that has an acid as its name, compared to a product that just tells you on the bottle what it’ll do for your skin. I’ve walked into DECIEM, The Abnormal Beauty Company store in the Distillery District numerous times (especially during Toronto Christmas Market season…just to warm up a bit) and always end up giving up, being confused, and leaving without trying any of their products. 

TikTok users that were estheticians, dermatologists and self-declared skin experts raved about the affordability and effectiveness of The Ordinary and after seeing some skin before and after results on the app, I decided to give it a try myself.

The Daily Set

A post shared by The Ordinary, NIOD, & more. (@deciem) on

Buying the Daily Set was an easy way to test out three products at a bundled price ($19.00 CAD). As the name suggests, using these products daily is encouraged as they aren’t as strong in comparison to other DECIEM products on your skin. If you’re not sure where to start with exploring The Ordinary, you should start right here.

Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5

A post shared by QUEEN T ? (@naayabrashid) on

This acid brings so much hydration to my skin! I have oily skin, so when a product says “hydration” I’m always nervous that it’ll make my skin extra oily. To my surprise, this product feels amazing on my skin and doesn’t leave it oily at all. Since the point of this product is to retain moisture, I recommend applying it onto damp, rather than dry skin for the best results.

Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

I was searching for a new moisturizer, so I found this Daily Set at a perfect time. A little bit of product goes a long way here, so even though the bottle seems to be on the smaller side, you don’t need to use much cream per application. Just a little dot. I love this moisturizer because even when I accidentally apply too much, my skin doesn’t get greasy at all! 

Squalane Cleanser

This cleanser also works to remove makeup and it does so effectively. The trick here is to turn this cream into an oil by rubbing it between your hands and then applying it to your face. Make sure you’re washing your hands before applying!

Regimen for Blemishes

There’s so many products for so many different skin types. Navigating which product will work best on your skin or for what your skin needs can be tough. The Ordinary has a regimen recommendations page, where they suggest what products to use and combine with each other in order to build a skin routine that will work for you. I find this super helpful and try to follow the regimen for blemishes. Similar to the Daily Set, if you don’t know where to start with The Ordinary, the Regimen Guide is a great place to begin!

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

I love this product so much that after I finished the 30ml bottle, I repurchased it in the 60ml bottle ($10.60 CAD). I feel like I could definitely credit this one product with helping me lighten my acne scars. It was the first product I used consistently and I saw great results. Super important to note that The Ordinary doesn’t recommend mixing Vitamin C products with Niacinamide products on the skin at the same time of day, or else they will essentially cancel each other out. For the best results, use them separately! I apply Vitamin C in the morning and Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% at night.

100% Plant-Derived Squalane

This product  ($7.90 CAD) is non-comedogenic and does a really good job at hydrating my skin. Like with most oils, a little goes a long way and applying too much can make your skin feel greasy. What makes this product unique is that you can also apply it to your hair to help it strengthen and shine!

Salicylic Acid Mask

To be honest, I only bought this product because the salicylic acid solution recommended with this regimen was sold out and I wanted something with salicylic acid in it to try and compensate for that. I wasn’t disappointed. This mask doesn’t burn my skin and it really helps my skin both look and feel really great. You only need to use the mask once or twice a week and I find if my skin is starting to break out, the mask tends to clear it up. I would definitely purchase this Salicylic Acid Mask ($12.50 CAD) again even if the initial solution is restocked.

Suncare

It’s important to note that with the majority of these serums and oils, wearing a thick layer of sunscreen is highly recommended. Regardless, remembering to add SPF into your daily skincare routine is important on its own. I chose to buy the Mineral UV Filters SPF 15 with Antioxidants ($8.90 CAD) from The Ordinary and well, I don’t hate it. I love the fact that when I apply it, it almost mattifies my face, making it less shiny which I definitely appreciate; however, it does leave a slight white cast on your skin after application. If you have a darker skin tone or if you purchase a higher level of SPF from them, I could see this being unideal, as the white streak will probably look more visible. 

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is a must for glowing skin! With the help of the Vitamin C Guide on The Ordinary’s website, I was able to choose an option that would best benefit my skin. I ended up ordering the Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% ($10.00 CAD) because of its treatment of dark spots and uneven skin tone. Definitely don’t apply too much at once! This one makes my skin feel warm and if I put a little bit too much on my face, it’ll stay oily. If you only apply a small portion and it feels oily, don’t worry yet! This product takes longer to settle on your skin.

Aside from The Ordinary carrying so many different products that cater to a variety of skin types, the fact that this effective brand is so affordable, especially in comparison to other popular skincare products out there, makes it even better! Next on my list to buy: Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution, Retinol 0.2% in Squalane  and AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution (if this product gets sold in Canada). This brand is definitely a perfect addition to your skincare routine that won’t break the bank, I wish I discovered them sooner. Thanks TikTok!

Paolina is a third year Media Production student at Ryerson University, with a love for all things food and travel. Catch her behind the camera or find her somewhere outdoors, with a coffee in one hand and a gelato in the other. Keep up with her on Instagram @pkloseto
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.