burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Things I Stole From My Parents’ Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The 90’s are officially back in! Big hair, funky patterns and bright colours are trendy and are all over Pinterest. I took this opportunity to go through my parent’s closet and find what they had kept from their teenage years, and I really found a lot. 

Mom Jean Short and Oversized Button Up

These shorts are coming back in style from the ’90s! The oversized fit of the shorts and the tight high waisted band helps to exaggerate your figure. I paired this with an oversized sage green button-up I found in my dad’s closet. A similar pair of shorts can be found on the Gap, and a similar button-up is found on Aritzia. Here’s the outfit all together.

Sweater Vest

Ever since Emma Chamberlain wore that sweater vest, I’ve been seeing them everywhere. They are so trendy and lucky for me my dad had a bunch of cute patterned ones in his closet. The colour brown is trendy right now too, so this sweater vest really checks all the boxes. Here’s a similar one on Amazon.

Denim Dress

My mom wore this denim dress in the ’90s and has never touched it since, but lucky for me she decided to keep it. The dress is a dark denim and you can layer some t-shirts or turtlenecks underneath for the winter. Here’s a similar one on Amazon.

Vintage Dress

This vintage dress came with my mom from India with a beautiful flower print in this pretty pink colour. It looks pretty paired with sneakers, boots, or slippers. You could wear it to the beach on a beautiful summer day. There are plenty of pictures of my mom wearing this femme, long dress.

After doing this, I’ve never been more grateful for my parents and their hoarding habits. And you should keep your skinny jeans, cause you never know when your kids can use them!

Prapti Bamaniya

Toronto MU '23

Prapti is a second year journalism student at Ryerson, and loves to write about news, lifestyle, and fashion. Her name is as unique as her experiences. She is an aspiring journalist and when she's not writing articles, she's probably reading a book, or rewatching New Girl for the hundredth time.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.