This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

When I was in high school, and even during elementary school, the number one thing I would do every weekday at 7:30AM or 4:00PM was turn on the TV to watch the iconic 90’s show, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. At first, I was pretty skeptical about how the show would turn out but I’ve been proven wrong, and for those who don’t know, the new 2022 dramatized reboot, Bel-Air, is now available on Prime Video Premium. Although the show is played by new cast members, I couldn’t be more satisfied with the outcome of the show. Of course, the show still relies on the original story’s plot, however, the characters are more modern, the culture and socio-political views are taken more seriously, and the drama is so much more interesting. I really do love the classic sitcom, but this dramatic version is outstanding!

Firstly, there’s actual scenery and environment in the show. Yes, instead of your average sitcom stage set, we can witness and explore the outside world with Will and his family. Not only that, but we also get the opportunity to see Will’s life in his hometown of Philadelphia before moving in with The Banks family. This leads me to the Banks’ estate in Bel-Air; talk about WOW! The house has modern furnishing with many components of Black Art which is not highlighted as much in the original colonial-style mansion. Although The Banks live in a heavily populated eurocentric part of Bel-Air, the family keeps its Black roots through art and aesthetics.

Bel-Air is modernized by using technology and social media like Instagram quite frequently, and the transition is seamless. An unexpected aspect of this show is its characters and their struggles to fit in with society. Compared to Will Smith’s character in the original Fresh Prince, Bel-Air’s Will Smith (played by Jabari Banks) is a sensible young man who cares about his reputation and academics, but struggles with his identity as he goes from being a kid from the hood to a kid related to a rich family in Bel-Air. Instead of Hilary Banks as a hyper-sexualized young ”white-washed” Black woman who only relies on her daddy’s money, Bel-Air’s Hilary strives to make a title for herself as an aspiring social media influencer by promoting her family and culture through cooking. As for Carlton, he’s still a preppy school boy attending Bel-Air Academy, however, he has many mental health issues and deals with addiction.

Moreover, the message of struggling to conform in a Eurocentric society, winning the community’s vote and maintaining a good reputation as a Black American speaks louder than words. The show pays so much attention to detail when referencing the social issues surrounding Black identity and culture inside the boundaries of a predominantly white-cultured society. All and all, without spoiling too much of the show, I must say, the reboot is a 10/10 and I would highly recommend this show to anyone who loved and appreciated the original sitcom!

Kathryn Sevilla

Toronto MU '23

I am a 4th year English major at Ryerson University. As my aspirations grow, I am writing to connect with readers in everyday situations, problems, and feelings. Here to make all audiences feel relevant and heard one article at a time. Content may include and is not limited to social injustices, your daily news, mental health and wellness, and style and beauty.