cooling sheet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
cooling sheet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Slumber Cloud
Wellness

Surviving Quarantine Back Home with Your Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

None of us expected to be here: online classes, living at home again with your parents, assignments worth more than they were before, and so much more. I’ve never heard the word ‘zoom’ as much as I have in these past two weeks and that’s saying something. 

I was supposed to have a little over a month left of school and it was unfortunately cut short, due to the global pandemic coronavirus, otherwise known as COVID-19. This pandemic has definitely turned everyone’s lives upside down and put us in positions we were not ready for. Unfortunately, there is no choice but to start coping with this new lifestyle and getting into a routine.

A lot of people don’t understand the drastic transition from living on your own, or with your friends on campus, going out most weekends and not having many rules or distractions, then going back to living in your family home, doing chores, while also still in school.

From the outside, some people think that students should be so happy to be home and out of school early – a part of me is, for sure – but it is deeply saddening how abruptly the school year came to a halt. 

Now to make matters worse, the entire country is encouraged to socially distance, so not only are all students back home, they’re unable to hang out with their friends or have social interactions. This means being home with your family 24/7. For a lot of people, having their own space away from others is very beneficial to their mental health. 

Everyone is different and this quarantined-time is not easy for anyone, but here is some advice and tips I’ve learned while coping with quarantine, and life back home with my parents and two sisters:

Make a schedule

I know you’ve all heard this one many times, “Just make a schedule and organize your time better,” or “Maybe if you were organized you’d have your life under control,” but I’m not talking about that kind of schedule. Make a schedule of things you can do that will keep you sane and grounded; being isolated from friends and not really being able to leave your house will make you stir-crazy. There is no doubt that your parents are going to have chores for you, so give them your online class schedule so they know when you’re going to be busy.

Ask for help

Your parents are probably going to have a list of things they’re going to want you to do throughout this quarantine, and trust me, you’re not going to want to spend the entirety of this self-isolation period fighting with your parents about who did and didn’t do what. Work together with your siblings and consider swapping roles so that everything gets done. At the end of the day, your parents just want the work to get done; I’m sure they don’t care who does it, so talk with your family and put together a game-plan so that all of you can stay on top of classes and work while also staying ontop of your chores. 

Your sanctuary

When you’re away from home, you have your own space where no one bothers you. Your privacy levels are definitely not the same as they were when you were in school, so it’s time to adjust. Either create, or re-decorate your space, or a new space of your choosing, and make it your own. You can brighten-up your current space with some nature, new lighting, or maybe some art-work; anything to make you want to be there and feel connected with the space. There’s nothing wrong with creating a space away from everyone where you genuinely want to spend some alone time. Plus, if anything, it’s good for your mental health. Your parents can’t expect you to do a full 180, it will take some time and that is only fair.

Be kind

Everyone is going through it right now, even our parents. There is so much going on in the world and everyone’s life in general. The only way you’re gonna get through this change is to be kind and respectful to one another. It sounds silly, but it will definitely help.

And finally, the most important tip, be careful. Take care of yourself and your loved ones, call your grandparents and check on them, go on the seventh walk of the day with your mom, and try to make the most of this next little while.

Jaya Arora

Toronto MU '22

Jayadeep, Jaya for short, was born and raised in Canada, Burlington to be more specific. Jaya was never one who was into the whole school thing. She hated math, science, history and french (all the important stuff unfortunately), but when it came to english, art and drama, she was in her element. She's attending Ryerson University and is currently in her second year of journalism. In the future, she's looking to write for TeenVogue, Cosmopolitan, Elle, Glamour or even Harper's Bazaar. She wants to spend her writing career writing articles and pieces she's passionate about and is excited to wake-up every morning and look-forward to going to work. She also wants everyone to know that she is in fact, TikTok famous. She's looking forward to writing for the formidable publication that is Her Campus and she can't wait to connect with all the readers who stop by. xoxo
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.