A Springtime To-Do List as The Snow Starts to Melt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The groundhog predicted an early spring, which means the snow should start melting any minute now. 

I love the winter but I know most of my friends don’t. I have one friend who downright hates the snow. Personally I think he just doesn’t appreciate it enough.

But then we get nasty, icy weather again and even I start to wish winter could just be over already. This whole back and forth thing with the cold is a lot and that’s made me look forward to the warmer seasons where I’m not constantly fighting to see under my hood. But as stores start to add in their spring collections, we can see spring and warmth slowly creep near, whether the weather is compliant or not.

I’ll be sharing with you guys my list of some fun little things to do when it gets warmer. Things that won’t cut time away from school; after all we are halfway through the second semester and I refuse for everything to go downhill from here. Nonetheless, the first day of spring is March 20 and it deserves a warm welcome.

Gardening

Something I did last year and really hope to do again this year is start a garden and grow my own foods.

I’m in an apartment building so it’s not like I can have one of those lavish gardens, but we were able to grow small things like herbs and peppers. Honestly, it was not as hard as I thought it’d be. Except for the strawberries… somehow mushrooms started growing instead and they attracted spiders, and I was just not about that. Nonetheless, I managed to grow a lot of jalapeno peppers and it fulfilled my nacho loving heart.

Spring cleaning

I don’t mean just vacuuming or sweeping, or de-cluttering Marie Kondo style, but actually clean out your life. Remove contacts from your phone that you don’t speak to and don’t want to speak to and delete photos that remind you of times where you just weren’t your happiest. Delete apps that you don’t use and unsubscribe from those mailing lists that just get sent to junk any ways.

We are in a digital age where we spend majority of our time on our phones and keeping it cluttered and filled with things that don’t benefit us isn’t good for us.

Try new things

I’m a firm believer in doing something new and out of your comfort zone at least once a month. Find something you’ve always wanted to do and find the time to do it. My idea of fun is a little wild, as I’ve been told by all my friends, so take these ideas with a grain of salt (and if you actually do them then, hello, you are my people and we should so be friends).

The dreaded CN Tower Edgewalk: it was on my bucket list for so long and, last summer I finally did it. If you’re not afraid of heights: do it. Even if you are you should do it. It’s a good way to get over your fear.

If you’re a fan of Ripley’s then you may be excited to hear that they have an opportunity for you to swim with sharks and stingrays? It should be noted that you have to be a certified diver to hang out with the sharks, but they, if that’s something you’re down for then go ahead. If not, no worries: certification isn’t required for the stingray experience.

Take advantage of the remaining snow

Go play in the snow! Have a snowball fight, build a snowman, jump in a pile of snow, go skiing or snowboarding or tuning or whatever — do something. Sure, we’re in Canada and majority of our year is spent in the snow, but still. It’s a fun time.

However, remember to keep up with your exams, then you’ll have months of fun in the sun. Here’s to hoping we don’t have any more ice storms! 

Zeinab Fakih

Toronto MU '21

Hey y'all! My name is Zeinab and I am a writer for HerCampus and Ryerson. An Aquarius who is ready to share all her opinions and experiences.  Enjoy! Feel free to follow me on Instagram @zeinab_jawad and YouTube at Zeinab Fakih.