This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Halloween is the perfect time to get in the spirit with some spooky books. But let’s face it, the semester is still in full swing, and sometimes, finding the time to read Halloween books is just not possible. Enter: graphic novels. Not only do you get to see the story unfold through vivid images and text, but they also prove the perfect immersive experience that you can finish in one sitting. 

Here are five graphic novels that are easy to read and exude Halloween vibes, whether you are a horror-lover or a scaredy-cat.

Through the Woods By Emily Carroll 

This graphic novel by Canadian illustrator Emily Carroll, is a collection of five chilling short stories. You can read one a night or all of them at once, but the spine-tingling illustrations are perfect for people who love the thrills and chills of the Halloween season. 

Mooncakes By Suzanne Walker, Illustrated By Wendy Xu 

Mooncakes follows teen witch Nova Huang who works at her grandmothers’ book store in a small New England town. When werewolf (and Nova’s crush) Tam Lang comes back to town, Nova discovers that dark forces are posing a threat to Tam and her family. This is an adorable graphic novel for people who love the magic and coziness of fall, but hate the thrills of Halloween. 

Sheets By Brenna Thummler 

This graphic novel tells the story of two worlds intertwining. At 13, Marjorie Glatt is running her family’s laundry business which is being threatened. At home and school, she feels like a ghost. Then comes Wendell – an actual ghost looking for his purpose in the human world. When their lives collide, Wendell seems to sabotage a world that Marjorie is struggling to keep together. With beautiful fall illustrations, this graphic novel packs an emotional punch. 

Pumpkinheads By Rainbow Rowell, Illustrated By Faith Hicks

Pumpkinheads is fall encompassed in a book. Two friends, Deja and Josiah, only see each other during their shifts at a pumpkin patch every autumn, but this time is their last. So, they decide to switch things up and explore the pumpkin patch – taking hayrides and getting lost in a maze all the while looking for Josiah’s crush who he wants to ask out (if he can find the nerve!) This is a warm, feel-good story for anyone who is looking for a good pick-me-up. 

Fangs By Sarah Andersen 

This story centres around Elsie, a 300-year-old vampire who still has not found her match. This changes when she meets Jimmy, a werewolf, at a bar during a full moon. This graphic novel explores the relationship between the two as they enjoy horror movies and scary stories, taking strolls at night and going to fine dining (without eating garlic, of course). Perfect for romance-readers who love a spooky twist.

Julia Tramontin

Toronto MU '24

Julia is a storyteller and bookworm based in Toronto, Canada and is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. Julia believes storytelling has the power to create change and is particularly interested in stories about feminism, mental wellness, and literature. When she's not hanging out with her two dogs, she can be found with her nose in a book.