This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

A recently published online survey found that lockdown measures imposed to stop the spread of COVID-19 increased emotional eating amongst the Italian population.

The results of the survey realized in May 2020, but only published online on Jan. 14, show that higher levels of negative emotions, such as anxiety and depression, as well as poor quality of personal relationships and poor quality of life during lockdown, led to increased self-reported emotional eating in Italy.

But this spike of emotional eating is not exclusive to Italy. As emotional distress caused by the pandemic is occurring all over the world, the eating behaviours of people worldwide have been impacted. 

“The COVID-19 pandemic offers a ‘perfect storm’ for declining mental health and result (sic) in negative outcomes on eating,” wrote the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) in a study published last November.

In the study, the ACS found that Canadians who reported being very afraid of getting the virus were most likely to say that they’ve been eating more. 

Pie chart that shows that Canadians who reported being very afraid of getting COVID-19 were most likely to say that they’ve been eating more.
Design by Daphnée Lacroix from Piktochart
In addition, the results also demonstrate that Canadians who reported having a very bad mental health state since the start of the pandemic were more likely to say that they’ve been eating more than usual. 

Pie chart that shows that Canadians who reported very bad mental health since the start of the pandemic were more likely to say that they’ve been eating more than usual
“Eating can be seen as a means to remedy negative feelings and thus increase under current conditions,” the study revealed.

This shift in the eating behaviour of Canadians did not come as a surprise to experts. In fact, at the beginning of the pandemic back in April, Registered Dietitian and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc., Andrea Holwegner, warned that some people may be inclined to eat their emotions amid the pandemic.

“Emotional eating is something we all do … We’ve all eaten for comfort before,” Holwegner said, quoted in a Global News article.

Now, in the midst of this pandemic, those predictions could not be more true as many people turn to nutritionists for help. Last December, Registered Dietitian Cheryl Strachan stated in her blog that emotional eating was the “number one concern” her clients raised with her in consultations. 

According to Strachan, emotional eating is not all bad. “Eating to soothe our frayed nerves and deliver some much-needed pleasure on a bleak day is absolutely okay,” she wrote in another blog post. “There are certainly worse ways to cope with a global pandemic.”

However, Strachan does note that emotional eating can become problematic and there are a few signs that point to a need for change in one’s eating behaviour.

Find out the signs and whether or not you’re an emotional eater by taking this short quiz!

The good news is, there are ways to move away from emotional eating and get back into healthier eating habits. Here are a few tips from experts:

Infographic of five tips to stop emotional eating.
Design by Daphnée Lacroix from Canva

I'm a third-year journalism student at Ryerson University in Toronto. I grew up in a French-Canadian home in Ottawa, where I first started to develop my voice and style in the form of poems. To this day, I have a soft spot for rhythm and rhymes. Whenever I’m not glued to my laptop, I like to be active; play tennis, workout or go on long walks.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.