This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

For those who don’t have a significant other to take out on a date, Valentine’s Day can become a lonely and isolating day. Most people opt to spend the day with their friends but sometimes your schedules just don’t align. That doesn’t mean all hope is lost. 

If you’re lucky enough to have a dog then you know that they have an undying love and loyalty for you. When life gets busy, quality time with pets is usually the first thing that is overlooked. Rather than moping around on February 14, why not seize the day and show that love and loyalty right back to your furry friend?

Here are some fun things you can do with your dog on Valentine’s Day:

Take them out to a dog park

Assuming that a giant snow storm doesn’t happen the night before, the dog park is the perfect place to hang out with your dog. My dog Gryffin, a three-year-old pomeranian, loves going to the dog park and running around trying to make new friends. 

Although it’s a bit far from our neighbourhood, we love going to the dog park at High Park. It’s spacious and fenced around so you can feel comfortable letting your dog off the leash without worrying about them running away or getting lost. 

Dog parks are also a great way to meet other people and make some new friends. After all, dogs are a simple conversation starter since every dog owner loves to talk about their dog.

Go to a dog-friendly place

Since my dog is pretty small, it can be hard to take him out for walks when the snow piles up. Dog friendly places can be an alternative way to allow your dog to stretch their legs indoors. Apart from obvious places like PetSmart, some malls actually allow dogs in. The Toronto Eaton Centre and Vaughan Mills are two malls that will let you and your dog walk around, provided that you keep your dog on a leash. Spend the day browsing the stores and pick up something for yourself and your pup on Valentine’s Day.

Teach your dog a new trick

Contrary to popular belief, you can teach an old dog new tricks. You can learn how to do anything on YouTube, and dog training is no exception. I’ve taught Gryffin many tricks I got from YouTube like fist bump and play dead. I usually watch the channel Zak George’s Dog Training Revolution for easy ways to teach my dog tricks but you might have to watch a few different channels before finding a method that truly works for your dog. 

Watch a movie at home with your dog

My dog loves nothing more than to cuddle and take naps. Sometimes when I put on a movie and lay down on the couch he likes to join me and stare at the TV. He almost always falls asleep but one time I watched Captain America: The First Avenger and he was really into it. So pull up Netflix or wherever you watch movies and see what piques your dog’s interest.

Visit a local shelter

The Toronto Humane Society has a lot of dogs and cats up for adoption so even if you don’t have a dog yourself, you can still find some to spend time with. Even if you’re not planning on getting an animal, you can contact them and get a tour of the facilities and just learn about what they do. You might even want to get involved and volunteer. They’re open Monday to Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

There’s many things for you and your dog to do so make the most of Valentine’s Day and let your dog be your bae of the day. 

Keisha Balatbat

Toronto MU '21

Pop culture enthusiast.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.