Style > Beauty

This Skincare Brand is Anything But Ordinary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I love skincare as much as the next person does but I also love not being broke. 

Sometimes, it can feel like a whole mission and a half to take care of your skin. There’s so much that goes into it; the different products and ingredients, the exorbitant price tags attached and so many other nitty gritty factors. 

If only there was a brand that was transparent, had something for all your worries and wouldn’t break the bank.

Cue your new holy grail: The Ordinary.

The Ordinary had quite the rise to fame when the world discovered there was finally a skincare brand equipped to handle all your skincare concerns and had most of their products priced under ten dollars.

As much as I will never outwardly admit it in front of my mother, I am a shopaholic. When I see something that I like, I won’t stop thinking about it until I get my hands on it.

When The Ordinary became a staple in every beauty YouTubers skincare regimen, I knew I had to try it out for myself – and boy, am I glad I did!

After having tried and tested them for myself, here are my top five product recommendations from their product line and what they do:

Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5

I have exceptionally dehydrated skin, so I’ve forever been willing to try anything to help the problem. Your skin can hold up to six litres of water and hyaluronic acid basically helps your skin retain as much moisture as it possibly can. According to their website, “This formula uses three forms of HA with varying molecular weights, as well as an HA crosspolymer, to offer multi-depth hydration and visible plumping without drawing water out of the skin solely to improve temporary surface hydration.”

High-Spreadability Fluid Primer

Being someone who loves make-up and skincare, using a good primer is one of the most important things to me. A good base is key for success! But I also wasn’t a fan of dropping $40 on primers at Sephora every few months. At just $7.90 a pop, it’s safe to say I was over the moon after purchasing this primer. This kept my makeup looking fresh, dewy and intact all day long. Also ‘high-spreadability’ is accurate – a little goes a long way. If you struggle with dry or dehydrated skin and your makeup often ends up looking cakey or patchy, this is the primer you need

100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalane

Yet another product to hydrate your skin, their website mentions this “is a natural hydrocarbon that is present in the skin, helping to prevent loss of hydration and to improve suppleness.” What’s even better is that this product isn’t just for your skin, you can use it on your hair too. It acts as a heat protectant, makes your hair shiny and strengthens it.

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

This specific water-based serum is meant to reduce the appearance of blemishes, dark spots and scarring. I’ve never had much acne growing up but for some reason from the few times I did get a sporadic burst of pimples, I developed acne scars. This product cleared up my skin for the most part and helped even out my complexion as best it could.

Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

By now, I’m sure we’ve all established that my biggest skincare concern is my dehydrated skin. Although I loved my staple Neutrogena Hydroboost, this is definitely a much better bang for your buck. You’re supposed to apply it after using your serums for immediate surface hydration. This plus the Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 serum is the perfect combination you need to plump up that skin.

Much to my surprise, just one serum or moisturizer won’t do it for your skin. You need a regimen of products that do different jobs. Also, all the above recommendations are out of the products that I’ve actually tried. Therefore, they’re all best suited for my skincare concerns! The best products for you might be none of the above depending on what your skincare concerns are.

Do your research, browse their product descriptions and fill that shopping cart up – you can thank me later!

Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.